Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

suv will not start......no spark

Visiting Guest

11-14-04, 10:14 AM   #1  
sgvservices
suv will not start......no spark

1987 chevrolet suburban cranks over but will not start ....no spark to spark plugs. distibuter cap and wires are good,fuses are all good.what do i check next .......coil,voltage regulater,distributer.....? not sure.....thanks for your help. engine is 5.7, 454ci chevrolet full size surburban fuel injection w/ac.please describe location of computer ignition control unit......if i have one. how do i test electrical system?

Sponsored Links

11-14-04, 01:16 PM   #2  
Remove the cap and see if the rotor is burned through or the carbon button in the cap is gone.If those are both good chances are the ignition module is bad or the pick up coil is.You can ohm the pick up coil leads but I don't have exact specs I would guess between 600 and 1000 ohms would be ok.Zero ohms or an open would be bad for sure.If that checks out and you have power and ground at the distributor I would replace the ignition module.Some auto parts stores can test them on a machine they have.

Search this Thread