No trouble codes - Service light on

Old 11-14-04, 03:55 PM
disk
Visiting Guest
No trouble codes - Service light on

I have a 2002 Cavalier, 2.2 L , Automatic , has 61,000 miles on it , I bought it new , 1000 miles since last oil and filter change. The service light has come on. This is not the check engine light. My Auto Tap shows no error codes. The light does not come on when I start it ......only after I take it out of park. Each time I shut it off , the light will not be on the next time I start it .....then put it gear , the head lights flash rapidly several times , and then the service light comes on. The owner's manual calls the light the " Service the Vehicle Soon " Light. " If it comes on, it has detected a problem......see your dealer "
I have 3 other Cavaliers ( all with more miles ) and I've not seen this before.

Any ideas ?

Last edited by disk; 11-14-04 at 03:57 PM. Reason: Typo
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 04:17 AM
Your code reader will not access those codes.A dealer or someone with a good scan tool will have to read the code for you.

Old 11-15-04, 08:11 AM
disk
Visiting Guest
Thanks Davo...............Has anyone else seen this before ?

Old 11-15-04, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It usually means that the computer has detected a drivability or emissions problem. I've had intermittents but not enough to set a code. Follow davo's suggestion

Old 11-15-04, 02:18 PM
It's probably a body control code it is not emission or drivability related if it is the service vehicle soon light.Is the abs light on also?

Old 11-15-04, 03:32 PM
disk
Visiting Guest
No , the ABS ( or any other " idiot " lights ) are not on and all the bulbs are good.

Something else I didn't mention......after the lights flash ( it's like you would see if you switched your high beams on and off , I can hear the relay ) the " day " lights turn off.( GM products normally run the day lights all the time ) The head lights function properly though. This is all very repeatable / perdictable......... Turn the engine off ....it " resets " itself again , and all is fine until I put it in gear the next time.

Sure has me stumped.

Old 11-15-04, 07:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I mis read my '88 Buick factory manual when I suggested drivability or emission problems. It says " when a malfunction is suspected due to a driveability or emissions problem". Since that is not the case, the book says a diagnostic circuit check must be performed. Of course, that was '88 and your car is '02.

Old 11-16-04, 04:13 AM
You may want to look around the battery and under the battery tray for corroded wires or connections.I will look for bulletins on this concern later and get back to you.In the meantime check the above.

Old 11-16-04, 08:07 AM
disk
Visiting Guest
Thanks again.......I'll pull the battery tonight ( @ werk now )

Anxious to see if you find any service bulletins.

I'll check back later.

Old 11-16-04, 02:49 PM
No bulletins are listed for that concern so let me know if you find any corrosion problem.Other than that to proceed I would need body codes.It could be a drl relay problem.You are saying the drls are not working correct?

Old 11-16-04, 03:11 PM
disk
Visiting Guest
Yes , the day lights work fine .....untill I drop it in gear. Then the flashing....

And no corosion issues with the battery or cables.

I stopped at the dealer tonight , to make an appointment.

I told him the service light had come on , he said " you mean the check engine light ? " I said no , he said " yep , that usually comes on at around 60 K ".......said to run the standard checks , it'd be around $66.00 , could be less....

So....I probably going to bite. If there really is something wrong ( besides " to perform standard maintenence " ) I need to get it checked out.....road trip coming up over Turkeyday weekend.

I'll let you know Thursday night.

Old 11-18-04, 04:32 PM
disk
Visiting Guest
Cool The rest of the story...........

Dealer called this AM......( I told him to call , do not perform any unauthorized work.) He said the problem was a burned out high bead on the drivers side.

Would repair it for $37.17 plus tax.

I declined the repair , but I'm amazed that it was something that simple.

I replaced the bulb this evening and the service light went out and all is back to normal.

Lesson learned , the dealer gave me a break and only charged $28.89.

I'll be more inclined to return the next time .....I feel like I got my monies worth.

Thanks guys (Davo ) for the advice.........I'll not soon forget this lesson.