Fluid Leaking from "Pedals Area"

Old 11-15-04, 12:28 AM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
Fluid Leaking from "Pedals Area"

I've noticed oil down there and the whole front of my shoe was covered with it when I got out of the car. Is that braking fluid or could it be something else? How costly is it if it is the braking fluid? Should I even drive it to the mechanic?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 02:38 AM
Check the level of your brake fluid in the reservoir on the master cylinder. I would not be driving it if it is leaking. Check other fluid levels to see which one is low. Not sure how it is entering the cab though. Good luck.

Old 11-15-04, 03:09 AM
fire-medic8104
Visiting Guest
I bet it is leaking into the cab from the master cylinder. The master cylinder is leaking where the brake pedal rod enters the cylinder. Change the master cylinder and bleed the system.

Last edited by fire-medic8104; 11-15-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 11-15-04, 07:13 AM
What type of vehicle is this? And is it a manual or automatic transmission?

Old 11-15-04, 08:50 AM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
91 Corolla.....Automatic Trans

Old 11-15-04, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by fire-medic8104
I bet it is leaking into the cab from the master cylinder. The master cylinder is leaking where the brake pedal rod enters the cylinder. Change the master cylinder and bleed the system.
I will bet this is a correct diagnosis. Get down under there with a light and see if there is fluid dripping from the brake pedal rod.

If you have not noticed any braking problems and you fill up the master cylinder you could probably drive to the mechanic. However as with any suspected brake problem there is a risk involved. I would be going VERY slowly and VERY carefully.

Old 11-16-04, 12:01 AM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
After leaving the car overnight, it seems the fluid on the mat didn't increase.....so I'm starting to wonder if I stepped in something while I was walking. Could it be that it only leaks when the engine is running?

Old 11-16-04, 02:37 AM
It can't be brake fluid, the master is outside and it won't go through the booster.

If anything it's ATF from a bad seal in the speedo adapter on the trans(axel). It's being carried up the speedo cable and leaking out the back of the speedo.

And yes it will leak only when you drive.

Old 11-16-04, 05:38 AM
fire-medic8104
Visiting Guest
I beg to differ. The rod from the brake pedal enters the vacuum booster, and there is a rod that goes from the booster to the master cylinder. Between the rod of the booster and master cylinder there is a seal. Then there is a seal between the master cylinder/booster rod and the internal parts of the master cylinder. The brake fluid can leak through the first seal and then eats the seal of the brake booster, since it is not designed to resist brake fluid. Then it will follow the brake pedal to brake booster rod and leak onto the floor.

I am not saying it is not possible that it could be trans fluid, but on that car I believe it is cable and gear.

Old 11-16-04, 06:10 AM
Your theory if possible the brake booster wouldn't work and he would have no power assist.

Besides if the fluid leaked into the booster it would be sucked in the engine.

And it does have a gear and cable, the seal is on ther gear and the fluid is "pumped" up the cable because of capilary action.

What I just explained to you is from real world experience on that model.

Old 11-16-04, 03:11 PM
We are offering ideas here but wouldn't it be smart to just get under there and look?

Even if you can't see exactly where it is coming from wipe some on a white paper towel. Compare the color of the fluid to a drop of brake fluid and a drop of transmission fluid from the car on the same paper towel and see if one matches.

Old 11-16-04, 03:18 PM
fire-medic8104
Visiting Guest
That particular model I don't know, I am just speaking from experience. I have seen vacuum assisted brakes bleed braked fluid into the vehicle, go down the firewall and seep into the carpet. Normally it is not see, since it flows down the padding.

Old 11-16-04, 10:33 PM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
I'll look at it in the morning. Thank you all for the help.

Old 11-20-04, 10:33 AM
So whats leaking?

Old 11-20-04, 01:48 PM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
I compared the colors of the power steering fluid, the engine oil, and the trans oil with the crap that's leaking and it closely resembles the engine oil more than anything, but the smell isn't the same. The fluid leaking smells absolutely horrible......like rotten eggs or something.

I also compared that fluid to some brake fluid I have, but it seems the brake fluid is not as viscous and it's more of a clearer color.

The levels of all the fluids are checking out to be ok though, I guess because it only leaks when the car is running and for a short while after that. I'll be taking it to a mechanic soon.

Any suggestions that would help me define the problem better are most welcome and appreciated.

Old 11-20-04, 04:50 PM
Take a bright flashlight and get under the dash and see where it's coming from some sort of trail should be visable.

Old 11-22-04, 11:21 AM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
Alright.....finally took it to 2 mechanics and they both said it's a bad trans seal letting oil in the speedometer cable. I have no clue what that is........but it's about $70 to fix.

Old 11-23-04, 02:38 AM
I'm glad you found some one to diagnose your leak.

The source of the leak is not common but have run across it enough. You must have it repaired as soon as possible or it will ruin the speedo head. If the speedo starts reading much to fast it's too late.

Old 11-23-04, 08:28 AM
nosubstitute959
Visiting Guest
The part was ordered and supposed to come in tomorrow. I'll fix it then. Thanks for your concern.