running troubles

Old 12-15-04, 01:55 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
running troubles

I have a 1988 cutless ciera 3.8L v-6 and when I start it up it runs fine and I let the engine warm up and then when I let it idle down and put it in gear it cuts off on me.I recently replaced the Mass air sensor.Now I do not know what to do to correct the problem. I got the sensor from Advance auto parts and it appeared to be the same as what I was taking out.

Old 12-15-04, 02:36 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may have to replace the IAC but try cleaning it and the throttle body first. First remove the intake snorkal and have someone hold the throttle to the floor from inside. Take an old toothbrush and some carb cleaner and scrub the backside of the throttle plate and surrounding housing. If this doesn't help, the I'd replace the IAC.

Old 12-19-04, 04:23 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
what is an IAC?

Old 12-19-04, 06:10 PM
S
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
After the Mass Air Flow sensor on the throttle body before the Intake Plenum is the Idle Air Control valve (IAC)
Lets air into the engine when your foot is off the gas, and the throttle blade inside the throttle body is closed

Old 12-19-04, 06:42 PM
disko
Visiting Guest
Red face washer fluid in the anti freeze

I did a stupid thing today. I put windshield washer fluid in the antifreeze reservoir. Naturally I noticed my error when putting the cap back on. Okay, my mind was elsewhere, what can I say... So, I figured I should get the 2002 Explorer to any shop that could flush it. The question is should I have it towed or is it safe to drive for 3-5 miles. My best guess as to the amount of the washer juice in the anti freeze is equiv to 3/4 of the main reservoir. I'd really appreciate any feedback from the pro's. Thanks a lot.

Old 12-19-04, 06:46 PM
It's not that serious. That stuff is mostly water.

Old 12-19-04, 06:51 PM
disko
Visiting Guest
Follow up to washer fluid - anti freeze

Thanks boss. I forgot to mention it's 0 degrees F. I hope there was enough anti freeze to dilute the washer fluid. Would you recommend I garage the truck tonight if I can?

Old 12-19-04, 07:48 PM
J
disko.....put it in the garage since you're not sure about the proper anti-freeze mixture...no need to take a chance on something like that.

Old 12-19-04, 08:35 PM
disko
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Jeff... I garaged it after my last post. I guess I didn't need to have anyone tell me that. That said, thanks for your follow up post. In the whole scheme of things it's a minor issue...dumb as it was and as inconvenient as it's going to be. I appreciated all the feedback. This is a good resource here. Hopefully I can help out someone with my expertise at some point.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: