Smell coming from car vents

Old 11-15-04, 07:14 PM
Question Smell coming from car vents

I have a 2003 Honda Accord V6 with about 31,000 miles on it. I keep it outside; as opposed to in a garage or car port. The car has dual climate controls inside. Lately, whenever we turn the temperature down we get a weird smell coming from the vents. It's not foul-smelling (at least not yet) but it is an odd, plastic smell. It only lasts for about 2 minutes or so then we no longer smell anything. I've heard stories of mold growing inside the vents whenever running the A/C but we live in the Northeast and we've probably only ran the A/C a dozen or so times in the last year. If anything, we run the heat on high then cut it back whenever it gets too hot. It's then when we cut it back that we smell the odd smell.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this odor? Is there any way I can clean my car's vents (I'm not very automotive-inclined) or check out the problem? Is this something I can take to the garage and have them solve/fix? Any help or information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-04, 07:59 PM
If your car has a cabin filter you might remove it and see if it smells. If not get some auto air conditioner conditioner and deodorizer. I use a brand Pure Air that I get at Wal Mart. Follow the instructions and see if that will help. It has worked well to remove odor from the air cond. system.

Old 11-17-04, 02:23 PM
Smile Thank you!

Thanks for the info! I'll give it a try!