Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

brake calipers

Visiting Guest

11-18-04, 08:17 AM   #1  
riverrunnerx
brake calipers

Hey all, feel silly asking but frustrated. Am doing rear brake pads on a 90 honda prelude and can't seem to push the calipers back to accept new pads. Is there a trick to them I don't know? I find it hard to fathom that both rear calipers have seized on me. Anyone with advice would be greatly appreciated....Thanks.

Sponsored Links

11-18-04, 09:51 AM   #2  
Rear Discs Brakes?
They often need a special tool that helps you rotate the pistons while pushing them in
"threaded" pistons, like a screw
Not sure what type (there are many) would be for a honda
Ask at the auto parts store
Or get a "multi" type tool (these'll get you by but not that easily)

Visiting Guest

11-18-04, 10:18 AM   #3  
riverrunnerx
thanks

Thanks for the info. had me going for 2 days....much appreciated.

Visiting Guest

11-23-04, 06:02 AM   #4  
Lindsey
Did you open the bleeder (if it has one)?

11-23-04, 02:01 PM   #5  
check the rear of the caliper. its quite likely there is a winding mechanism of some sort which will pull the piston back.
this might take the form of a plug or bolt which has an allen key bolt or something similar behind it.
a lot of jap cars have this for handbrake adjustment and winding pistons back.

11-26-04, 02:03 PM   #6  
autozone will rent the tool necessary to complete this job.

Visiting Guest

11-30-04, 04:12 PM   #7  
ficam99
brakes

Anytime you do brake pads always push the piston back first, before you use the rachet to remove the bolts that hold the caliper in place. All you have to do is place the screwdriver between the pads,or in a manner that allow you to push against them and push the piston in the caliper back. Also Auto zone sells a cube shaped tool that allows you to manually twist the caliper back to put the new pads on. I am not ase certified but have done many, many brake jobs.

Search this Thread