Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

HELP Finding a good and Trusty Mechanic

Visiting Guest

11-21-04, 09:02 AM   #1  
BrooklynRacer
HELP Finding a good and Trusty Mechanic

i am new to cars so i am not a do it yourselfer like you guys...
So any one have any tips on how to find a good trusty mechanic... I want my Timing Belt replaced, took it to this one shop and they did a botch job.. i am disgusted with them... Luckily my engine is not damaged but the timing still seems off by a few teeth... I need a new shop to have it done and i will pass the bill onto the original shop...
Are the Honda/Acura dealers your best bet??? do they know the cars inside and out better than the average shops out there??

Sponsored Links

11-21-04, 11:00 AM   #2  
I personally believe the best way to find a good technician in your area is by word of mouth. Talk to friends, relatives, neighbors, co-workers, etc. in your area and they should have recommendations based on their personal experience that should help you decide. In theory, the dealerships are supposed to be the best qualified technicians for the specific make they service. This isnt always the case though. Good luck on your search.

Group Moderator

FL

11-21-04, 12:29 PM   #3  
You'll often get more personal service with an independent garage than you will at one of the superstore dealerships where the only face you ever get to see in the service department is the service "writer" (who may or may not know any more about cars than YOU do). If you know any indepedent towing companies (truly independent, not owned under the table by a garage or dealership and/or affiliated with a large motor club), ask them the top three garages where they would take their OWN cars. Tow Guys tend to know where the good garages are and which ones to avoid.

BTW, have you addressed this with the original garage and given them a chance to make it right? Or perhaps you've had negative experiences in the past and this was the final straw?

Visiting Guest

11-21-04, 12:39 PM   #4  
BrooklynRacer
Posted By: the_tow_guy You'll often get more personal service with an independent garage than you will at one of the superstore dealerships where the only face you ever get to see in the service department is the service "writer" (who may or may not know any more about cars than YOU do). If you know any indepedent towing companies (truly independent, not owned under the table by a garage or dealership and/or affiliated with a large motor club), ask them the top three garages where they would take their OWN cars. Tow Guys tend to know where the good garages are and which ones to avoid.

BTW, have you addressed this with the original garage and given them a chance to make it right? Or perhaps you've had negative experiences in the past and this was the final straw?

I took it to them 3 times already to do a timing belt replacement and the timing is still off... each time i took it to them it was a little better but is still sluggish and stalling... i am not going to deal with them anymore...
My uncle recommended another shop and someone else said they heard of that shop heard a lot of people said he is very good... so i am contemplaiting between him or the dealer... I am leaning more towards the dealer because i am sick of this already... what do you guys think??

NC

11-21-04, 07:19 PM   #5  
I would definitely go with the recommended mechanic! A timing belt shouldn't be a problem for him. He has probably replaced many of them if he has been in business for several years or more. Don't get upset if wants to get a new timing belt so he'll be sure its the correct one.

Group Moderator

FL

11-22-04, 04:38 AM   #6  
Second that. You'll pay a premium price for the parts AND labor at a dealership for a very common repair procedure. There ARE a few things that I WOULD recommend a dealership for such as airbags or problems involving reprogramming of the computer, but a timing belt wouldn't be one of them.

Be prepared for the possibility (and please don't bite my head off here; it does sound as tho you may have a case) that the problems you are having are unrelated to your timing belt. I say this, and the pro's here will back me up, because every single garage on the face of the earth has instances where they do a repair and are blamed for subsequent problems with a vehicle that turn out ultimately to be unrelated.

Also, and here's the really bad news, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you have valve damage. You didn't say what your vehicle was, but you mentioned Honda/Acura which do have quite a few interference, aka valve-bender, engines.

Visiting Guest

11-22-04, 10:55 AM   #7  
BrooklynRacer
Posted By: the_tow_guy Second that. You'll pay a premium price for the parts AND labor at a dealership for a very common repair procedure. There ARE a few things that I WOULD recommend a dealership for such as airbags or problems involving reprogramming of the computer, but a timing belt wouldn't be one of them.

Be prepared for the possibility (and please don't bite my head off here; it does sound as tho you may have a case) that the problems you are having are unrelated to your timing belt. I say this, and the pro's here will back me up, because every single garage on the face of the earth has instances where they do a repair and are blamed for subsequent problems with a vehicle that turn out ultimately to be unrelated.

Also, and here's the really bad news, it's not outside the realm of possibility that you have valve damage. You didn't say what your vehicle was, but you mentioned Honda/Acura which do have quite a few interference, aka valve-bender, engines.

Yea i know valve damage maybe a possibility... But i had a few people check it out and listen to the engine and they said it doesnt sound like any valve damage.. They said the cylinders are not dead or anything...
but how can i know for sure?

Search this Thread