Honda Accord CV Boot

Old 11-22-04, 06:36 AM
mlr58
Visiting Guest
Honda Accord CV Boot

I have a 1997 honda accord 4 cylinder, 5 speed, LX. The outer CV boots have just cracked. The inner CV boots are good and there is no damage to any CV joints. I want to just replace the outer boots on both sides and leave the inner boots. I do not want to remove the axel from the transmission. I have removed all the components from the axel except for the CV knuckle and I have come to a stop. Am I able to remove the outer CV knuckle from the axel so I can get my boot on? Is there a compression ring holding that outer knuckle to the axel? I can see that the axel has splines and I am hoping that I can slide that knuckle off and slid my boot on. Keep in mind that I am trying to do this with out taking the axel out of the car.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-04, 06:47 AM
You have to remove the driveshaft in order to replace the boot. Typically it's better to replace the whole driveshaft, but replacing the boot will only cost about $15 at most machine shops. If you cought it early then replace the boot. If however the boot has been cracked for a while and the grease came out, I would replace the driveshaft. You don't want to do this again.

Old 11-22-04, 09:57 AM
mlr58
Visiting Guest
I caught it very early and there is no damage to the CV. If I just want to replace the boot then how do I separate the CV knuckle from the axel with out removing the axel from the car?

Old 11-22-04, 10:38 AM
In my experience (although never with a honda), it was necessary to hammer the outer cv joint off of the axle. There was a clip on the axle that the cv joint has to be forced over. I found the best way to do this is to remove the axle from the car and place it in a vice so as to not damage the inner joint.
Can anyone else confirm that hondas are disassembled the same way?
I havent replaced a boot in years due to the cost efficiency of just replacing the axle.

I dont understand the need to keep the axles in the vehicle. It is simply a matter of prying them out. They may drip a little, so put a drain pan under it and then top off the fluid when it is all done. It will make it much easier to work on.

Old 11-22-04, 11:19 AM
As far as I know you have to take the axle out of the car in order to replace the boot. The CV joint will have to come apart to replace the boot, and that requires work to be done on the bench. Removing the outer end of the axle is the most difficult part of the job. The inner side will usually just slide out (using a screwdriver to force the little ring off its track.

I would take the whole axle off and take it to a shop that can replace the boot for you. Personally I would replace the whole axle. You don't want to do this twice. I would definetely wear gloves on this job, that CV grease doesn't like to come off hands.

Old 11-22-04, 05:17 PM
I'll give another vote for replacing the whole axle. It's just not feasable to replace just a boot when the axles are so cheap and boot replacement is so much hassle. Ity will really not be worth it if you make a mistake and that boot comes loose after installation. Replace the axle and be done with it.

Old 11-24-04, 12:57 PM
mlr58
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all your help. I was able to clamp the axel in the car and remove the CV joint and install the new boot with out taking the axel out. Everything went smoothly, although it is hard to remove the joint because of the compression ring. $14 for total cost to replace 2 outer CV boots.

Thanks

Old 11-24-04, 01:17 PM
I'm glad you were able to do it.

I would have paid $125 to replace both axles... time is usually more important then money.