Spark Plugs

Old 11-22-04, 08:38 AM
Spark Plugs

I changed out my spark plugs the other day....the specs in the owners manual call for a gap of .039-.043 inches. When I measured the gap on the ones that were in the car, they measured anywhere from .050-.060. Any reason for such a discrepancy??? This is on a 1.8 2000 Mazda Protege.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-04, 09:28 AM
In time the spark plugs wear out, and the gap increases.

Old 11-22-04, 05:12 PM
That's right. It just melts metal away as they age., unless they're platinum.

Old 11-23-04, 07:17 PM
Yes they do wear slowly over time. However the person who put them in may not have gaped them or they could have set them at the wrong gap.

Old 11-23-04, 11:26 PM
Aren't most spark plugs sold already gapped for your car? Don't you all walk int your auto parts store and ask for the spark plugs for your particular model car? Or do they run into the back and gap 'em for you themselves and then sell them? Anyway, so you say the platinum ones keep proper gapping throughout the life of the sparkplug (30K, according to the owners manual of my 2003 Mazda Protege5)?

Old 11-24-04, 07:38 AM
Platinum plugs can't be gapped, and are not supposed to gap them.
I really don't see any reason why somebody would not use platinum plugs...

Old 11-24-04, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by trinitro
Platinum plugs can't be gapped, and are not supposed to gap them.
I really don't see any reason why somebody would not use platinum plugs...
Platinum plugs only work well in specific situations. They don't produce as large of a spark and in some cases cause driveability issues, especially if the wrong brand is used. They usually work well in DIS type ignition systems due to the increased KV available. They are also a benefit with DIS due to the fact that the return spark will melt the opposite pole of the plug and a double platinum will eliminate that problem.

Old 11-24-04, 05:03 PM
[QUOTE=trinitro]Platinum plugs can't be gapped, and are not supposed to gap them.

Geez! I've been using platinum for quite some time and I've always checked the gap before installing them. Most of the time they're okay but sometimes I have to fine tune them. Is this not a good idea?

Hm1950

Old 11-25-04, 03:43 PM
Question

DIS??? KV??? Opposite pole???

??????

Old 11-26-04, 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by seancashmere
Aren't most spark plugs sold already gapped for your car? Don't you all walk int your auto parts store and ask for the spark plugs for your particular model car? Or do they run into the back and gap 'em for you themselves and then sell them? Anyway, so you say the platinum ones keep proper gapping throughout the life of the sparkplug (30K, according to the owners manual of my 2003 Mazda Protege5)?
No most plugs are not already gapped for your vehicle! All you have to do with any spark plug is READ THE BOX. Most will say to set the gap for your vehicle. A few will say do not change the gap. On these I would check the gap and if they are wrong I would take them back and get a set with the correct gap for the vehicle.

Most things in life are easy if you read the instructions.

Old 11-27-04, 03:25 AM
Originally Posted by seancashmere
DIS??? KV??? Opposite pole???

??????
DIS= Direct ignition system or Distributorless ignition system

KV= Kilovolts

Opposite pole= a little more complicated, basically on a DIS system, the spark leaves through one spark plug and returns through another making the spark jump from the opposite pole of the plug.

Old 11-27-04, 08:15 AM
Very interesting. Thanks for clarifying. You guys are the best.