Steamed Jeep

Old 11-22-04, 08:04 PM
batcat
Visiting Guest
Steamed Jeep and More

I orinially posted a engine overheating problem thread on 1999 Jeep Cherokee Classic 2wd. Further research and replies to the original thread indicates that a number of symptoms over the past months that were believed to be unrelated may have a common component. The symptoms in order of occurrance are: 1] keyless entry quits 2] fuel gage becomes imtermittent 3] Idle speed too high 4] Temperature gage become erratic 5] Electric radiator fan becomes itermittent. The common component to these appaers to be the Powertrain Control Module. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited by batcat; 11-24-04 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Original information incomplete
Old 11-22-04, 09:55 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
1st check the fuse or fusible link, for the fan, if you haven't already. I'm not sure if you have properly tested the relay but if the relay is energized, the contacts should close. If they don't, the relay is bad. If you tested the relay by pressing the contacts together, that will only tell you that voltage is going through the contacts to the fan, not if the relay is operating properly when energized. If you have 12 volts on both sides of the coil, you have a bad relay. You should only have 12 volts on one side of the coil and 12 volts going to one of the relay contacts when the relay is open. There should be an explanation on how to test the relay in the Haynes manual.

I don't know where the ECU is but someone else here might be able to help with that.

Old 11-23-04, 03:10 PM
batcat
Visiting Guest
Thanks Jeff, I forgot to mention that I had tried another realy.

Old 11-24-04, 12:54 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Check the fuse or link. If its blown, inspect the fan wire for a bare spot that could have come in contact with a metal part of the engine or body. I hope you don't have a fusible link that is between the engine and firewall or somewhere else that is impossible to easily check.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: