Car Battery

Old 11-23-04, 10:29 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Car Battery

My car battery is about 5 years old I think. I am having trouble turning my car on, but if I move the battery around a bit, then it starts. I changed the battery clips about 6 months ago but there are lots of light green-white powder around the clips. They are cheap clips. You think it is the clips or the battery?

I know it is not the alternator because I just had that changed last year. Could it be the starter? Maybe not too, because if it is the starter, it would do a click, click and click.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-04, 12:22 AM
You have corrosion at the battery terminals. The battery posts and terminals need to be cleaned. See this web site: http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...le/id-427.html (no offense intended on the dummie site)

Make sure they are shiney before you reconnect them. You'll be better off by replacing the cables (with terminals already molded to them) because the corrosion might have made its way down into the cables under the insulation and the problem will likely return. If that doesn't fix it, have the battery checked. It's getting old and may be on its way out.

Old 11-24-04, 01:41 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jeff67
(no offense intended on the dummie site)

Do you know the cause of this? All the sudden that green build up piled high of powder. Was it the terminal clips that I changed?

Thank You for your quick reply by the way.

Old 11-24-04, 01:45 AM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Excellent Link!!!

Old 11-24-04, 08:36 AM
Both

I would say both are bad Batterys are on there last legs at five years ols and the cables being corroded do not help.I would replace both with good quality pieces right away so that your alternator does not have to work so hard.

Old 11-24-04, 11:28 AM
Do you know the cause of this? All the sudden that green build up piled high of powder. Was it the terminal clips that I changed?
QUOTE]

See the bottom of this page: http://www.ntb.com/advisor_guidesbat...ttery%20cables

Corrosion is common. You can prevent it for a while by putting petroleum jelly around the terminals or special green and red rings around the bottom of the posts. They are available at auto parts stores, or possibly walmart.

Last edited by jeff67; 11-24-04 at 11:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-24-04, 01:07 PM
Superman
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thank You for your replies gentlemen.

Old 11-24-04, 03:34 PM
I don't know what the battery clips are but I'll guess they are terminal repair ends.This is not a proper repair the battery cables should be replaced with high quality thick ones designed for the car.Don't buy cheapo skinny cables or you will be sorry they don't flow current properly.