Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1996 Intrepid 3.3L cut-out when in gear

Visiting Guest

11-27-04, 02:15 PM   #1  
Dodggey
1996 Intrepid 3.3L cut-out when in gear

My 1996 Dodge Intrepid has a 3.3L engine with 144K miles has been driving great until recently. All of a sudden it started cutting-off when I brake or come to a stop too fast. I had it scanned for engine and transmission codes last week but none showed up. I was told they can't do anything until it triggers a code. Now, it cranks and runs good, until I try to put it in gear - either reverse or drive - it cuts-off instantly. It restart fine and idle fine, but cuts-off when I try to put it in gear. Help!!!

Sponsored Links

11-28-04, 06:05 AM   #2  
Try cleaning your throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkal and have someone hold the throttle to the floor (engine off of course). Now take an old toothbrush and some carb cleaner and scrub the backside of the throttle plate and all the surrounding housing. Spray some cleaner into the small holes in the housing both in front and back of the throttle plate. Reassemble and start the engine. It will be loaded up at first but will clear up momentarily. That should help. If it doesn't, you will likely have to change the IAC. Your mechanic should have realized that wouldn't set a code and should have known where to look for a problem like that.

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 12:16 PM   #3  
Dodggey
Desi

I tried your suggestion and cleaned the throttle body real good! However, the problem remains, it starts fine and runs great, but when I put it in gear it shut off instantly. I changed the PCV and the EGR valves and still not much help. What is the IAC, how does it work and how easy is it to replace?

12-01-04, 01:08 PM   #4  
Try disconnecting the tourque converter lock switch on the tranny. Sounds like the TC lock up does not disengage.

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 03:30 PM   #5  
Bob b
I have to agree with cabot .I had a pontiac doing the same thing with no codes .I replced the torque converter clutch solonoid and problem solved.

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 08:54 PM   #6  
Dodggey
Cabot or Bob B

Where is the tourque converter lock switch or the torque converter clutch solenoid located and how do I disconnect it?

12-02-04, 09:08 AM   #7  
Im not familure with this car, go to xxx.allpar.com, that is an all MOPAR site and should help you there, I go there for my minivans needs.

Visiting Guest

12-03-04, 12:32 PM   #8  
Dodggey
Bob B

Where is the tourque converter clutch solenoid located and how do I disconnect it? I didn't find anything on this on the xxx.allpar site. Is there perhaps another name for it on this vehicle?

Visiting Guest

12-08-04, 01:29 PM   #9  
Dodggey
Cabot

Posted By: Cabot Im not familure with this car, go to xxx.allpar.com, that is an all MOPAR site and should help you there, I go there for my minivans needs.

Where is the tourque converter clutch solenoid located and how do I disconnect it? I didn't find anything on this on the xxx.allpar site. Is there perhaps another name for it on this vehicle?

12-08-04, 02:59 PM   #10  
I'm not familiar with Chrysler products (they are the least favorite brand to me), but did you try a Chiltons or Hayes book?

Visiting Guest

12-14-04, 01:06 PM   #11  
eric trepid
I have a 94 Intrepid which would cut out while driving for no reason. had many things checked and diagnosed but to no avail. Finally I read somewhere on the web a guy with the same problem. He solved his problem by replacing the Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors. I only replaced the Crankshaft sensor and voila! Hasn't died on me for 1 1/2 months now. The part is only $30 at most automotive parts shops. Good luck!!

12-14-04, 05:33 PM   #12  
(Above post)Thats how I fixed the exact problem I had on my 93 Pontiac with the GM version of the 3.3, it was behind the harmonic balancer.

On the Allpar site, go to the Intrepid section of the site, or it might be sorted by vehicle year, and post, you should get some help.

Search this Thread