is it a good time for a tune-up

Old 11-27-04, 05:38 PM
is it a good time for a tune-up

Okay, so insurance in New York State is so expensive I had to park my car for 3 months until I turned 25. So now I am ready to insure it again and when I do I'd like to know if I should give her a tune-up. I haven't driven it since late September, so is it being left completely idle for a couple months enough to warrant an early tune-up? I bought it in September '03 (with 8 miles on it) and it now has 20k miles. It is a 2003 Mazda Protege5, 2.0 liter 135hp. I believe it is DOHC. What do you think? Should I just change the oil and wait until it is time for to change the spark plugs and wires, etc. or do everything ASAP?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-04, 05:58 AM
Not even close! Spark plugs in today's cars will last a lot longer, some even 100K. I wouldn't even think about it before 60-70K and then change the wires and everything and do a good induction cleaning including the throttle body. Some things to think about now would be fuel filter, air filter, flushing fluids like coolant, trans fluid (auto trans only) and even brake fluid. Brake fluid is the most overlooked fluid in the system and is probably the most important. You can avoid a lot of brake component failures down the road by completely flushing with fresh brake fluid every couple years. Transmissions that are flushed every 30K and not overheated virtually last forever. Fresh coolant every 2 years will prevent your cooling system from rotting also.

Old 11-28-04, 09:50 AM
Ooh, great ideas, will do! Thanks!