Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Gas additive...which one to use??

Visiting Guest

11-29-04, 02:33 PM   #1  
sicando
Gas additive...which one to use??

I have a 91 Jeep wrangler 6cy. 4.0 and I want to add gas additive to my gas tank through out the winter months. I heard on a radio talk show about auto information, and the host stated that you needed to use one type of additive as opposed to the others...he did not say the name of the one he recommended, but instead said what was in it....well....I'm afraid I didn't mark down what the name was that I need to look for....none of the gas additives I've seen list what they are made of, or whats in them. How can you tell which one to get?? I want the one that mixes the water with the gas so it will burn off as you drive, as opposed to just seperating the water in the tank. Thanks to any who read and answer this.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

11-29-04, 07:24 PM   #2  
Brands with isopropyl alcohol will absorb the water and allow it to flow through the fuel system. I suspect that most " dry gas " additives will do the job. Since the water is from condensation in the tank. it is good to keep your tank as full as possible during the winter months.

Group Moderator

FL

11-30-04, 04:21 AM   #3  
The commonly recommended one is "Heet".

Visiting Guest

11-30-04, 02:22 PM   #4  
sicando
Thanks to both of you for the replies. It will make finding this product much easier....also, I guess it can do no harm to add a pint/container of 'heet' to the gas tank each month of the year. It is cheap enough to do that if it will do some good even in the summer months. Thanks again for the reply.

11-30-04, 02:35 PM   #5  
Although alcohol does remove moisture as previously stated, it also eats rubber and will damage your fuel pump and fuel injecters. Try to find something witrhout alcohol.

11-30-04, 03:37 PM   #6  
Use a dry gas with isoprpyl alcohol.Only use it about once a month during freezing temperatures.I had my wifes and my car both freeze up 24 hours after a fillup at the same station last year.Dry gas is only intended to eliminate fuel line freeze up not all weather use.Reasons have been mentioned by the 2 people on here that never need it.Lol By the way some stations sell fuel already with "ice guard"protection.

12-01-04, 03:06 PM   #7  
Posted By: davo Reasons have been mentioned by the 2 people on here that never need it.Lol
Awwe, is somebody jealous????????? lol

It was only about 80 deg today. I guess I won't need any dry gas today.

Search this Thread