Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1990 5.0 Ford F150 Stalling

11-30-04, 02:38 PM   #1  
1990 5.0 Ford F150 Stalling

Yes I have a 1990 Ford F-150 with a 5.0 A/T. The truck has 99,000 miles on it. About every time I start it up it cuts right back off but after you start again it runs and idles fine. Now since it has gotten colder (or maybe just started doing it) when I have to stop it wants to cut off not all the time just some of the time. Recently I had the ECM changed and a tune up and it did no good. Any suggestions Thanks

Sponsored Links

12-04-04, 02:33 PM   #2  
I had a dodge that acted like that.The check engin light would come on and code would say map sensor. The problem was sensor wasn't getting enough vacum. I took throtle body off and took off plates where vacum lines hook up and it was plugged up with carbon. After I cleaned it engine ran fine.It was an easy job.

12-04-04, 02:47 PM   #3  
Try cleaning the throttle body and IAC and look it over real good for a vacuum leak. The way to clean the throttle body is remove the intake snorkel, have someone sit in the truck and hold the throttle wide open. Now take an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner and scrub thr backside of the throttle plate and surrounding housing. Now remove the IAC with 2 10mm bolts, clean the inside thoroughly with the carb cleaner and lube it with WD40 or the like and reassemble. It will be loaded up when you restart it but will clear momentarily. This should help your idle.

Search this Thread