Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 Ford Taurus Wagon Need help

Visiting Guest

11-30-04, 08:24 PM   #1  
primitiverain
1995 Ford Taurus Wagon Need help

I own a 1995 Ford Taurus Wagon with auto transmission and 3.0 motor I am having major problems with the electrical system. there is a relay computer mounted on top of the radiator under the slash gaurd. I have replaced it 3 times going on the fourth. something keeps frying it. We have replaced battery cables and terminals wiring harness to that relay computer had a few shorts in it so they were soldered back together and shrink tape put on those. found some other wires that were broke and we soldered those and shrink taped them Alternator is charging at 14.7/14.8 while running. Have no fuel pressure. Battery won't hold charge. And I just dont know if maybe the alternator is causing the whole problem by putting out to much voltage causing the relay computer to fry? or could it be something else THIS IS A MAJOR ELECTRICAL NIGHTMARE! Any suggestions or referrals for help would be greatly appriciated.
Thanks
Jen

Sponsored Links

NC

11-30-04, 10:33 PM   #2  
You're refering to the constant control relay module(CCRM) I assume. Have you had the battery tested to be sure its good? MAKE SURE battery cables are connected positive to positive post, neg. to neg. post. What happened if anything just before the problem began? Was any work done on the car just before all this? Will the engine run at all before the relay module fries?

Double and triple check that you have all wires correctly soldered to the correct wires they go to. I would have used crimp terminals because they will hold up to vibration better and they are easier to use than soldering.

If you have a Haynes Manual, it should tell you all terminals coming from the wiring harness that should have battery power. Some may have battery power only with ignition switch in the on position. Check those for battery power or check for continuity from them to the battery with an ohmmeter and MAKE SURE no terminals in the harness have battery power that shouldn't have it. Also make sure the the ground(s) terminal(s) are connected to ground with an ohmmeter.

I believe the fuel pump relay is part of the CCRM so if you get this electrical problem solved, you should get the fuel pressure again. Alternator voltage seems to be fine. How did you get the engine running to test the alternator voltage or did you take it somewhere to have it tested?

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 08:06 AM   #3  
primitiverain
1995 Ford Taurus Wagon Need Help

I bought the car back in July It had some transmission problems I would be driving down the road and it would slip into neutral for no aparrant reason, I took it to the garage and the replaced the variable speed sensor. then it started fring coils i replaced that like 3 times and my boyfriend found some loose wiring and fixed that. so that problem was taken care of. The relay module was bad on the vehicle because my temp gauge and speedometer gauge started jumping all over the place. So i replaced the original relay module with a used one that was tested as good and we used the butt connectors that crimp and it ran great for like 3 months. Then it started acting up when i would turn the corners in town the battery light would flicker and i would loose power steering and power brakes and act like it was going to stall as soon i would straighten the wheel it stopped. then about two weeks later it stopped running again and left me stranded in the middle of no where. Had it towed home replaced the fuel pump inside the tank thinking that was the problem. And it ran again so we thought it was fixed and that was the problem,but it wasn't. about 1-2 weeks later it started again. with the battery light flickering and trying to stall. so we starting chasing wires. and found nothing. then last week it quit running we put the old relay module back on till we could find the problem because the other one was fried. it ran for about two days and fried that relay module I bought a brand new one and put it on it ran and we tested the alternator and got 14.7 and 14.8 on that put the car in drive pulled out on the road put the car in reverse and it stalled and quit running thought maybe was out of gas because it was pretty low so put 3 gallons in and tried to start it it rolled over and tried to start but then cut right back out. so we pushed it back in the drive way redid all the wiring to the harness with solder instead of the butt connectors because some of them were coming apart. still would not start. checked all the fuses they are all good battery went dead after about 5 times of trying to start. still not running and at whits end with it.
any response will be great.
Thanks
Jen

NC

12-01-04, 06:13 PM   #4  
Sounds like an intermittant short to ground somewhere, caused by a bare wire or water or some other fluid. You don't have a leaky radiator do you?

Try raising the front end, run the engine and turn the steering wheel to see if the problem can be duplicated that way. Check to see if the wire harness or any wires are getting caught up in the steering components or any other moving parts. That would explain the broken wires. Trace the harness and see if you can find anywhere that is causing tension on it or where the harness has been rubbing against something. One wire may have a bare spot on it.

Check all fuses to the relay module to be sure they are the correct amperage so you'll be sure that there isn't a wrong higher rated fuse that should be blowing instead of the relay module.

Search this Thread