Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

squealing/loss of voltage

Visiting Guest

12-01-04, 08:14 AM   #1  
gemoore
squealing/loss of voltage

Hi,
I have a 97 ford probe gt...here is my problem...

about a year ago my car started squealing so i had the belts changed, the squealing stopped for a very short time. The squealing initially wasn't bad only when i had the air or heat on. then it began to squeal all of the time. then i noticed that when it started squealing the voltage dropped. a few weaks later, while driving, the car died on me...first the heat turned off, then the radio, then the lights dimmed and finally the car died. the car wouldn't take a jump. I replaced the alternator only to find out that the 2 year old battery was completely dead. i replaced the battery and now it has been doing it again, i think there might be a short in reference to the defrost system but am not sure. the only diagnostic code comes up that the "scp hbcc chip failes to initialize".

can anyone give some direction?

thanks
george

Sponsored Links

CANADA

12-02-04, 08:46 AM   #2  
Couldnt say for sure, George, as you already changed the alt and battery.
Check out..
http://forums.probetalk.com/
Im sure someone on there knows..or have had the same problem.
Good luck

Visiting Guest

12-07-04, 07:06 AM   #3  
gemoore
thanks

thanks, i will do that

12-07-04, 07:31 AM   #4  
You could have gotten a cheap reman alternator... does the alternator spin freely with the belt removed? Does anything seem like it's binding (AC compressor, power steering, etc)? A short will generally blow a fuse.

I would take the alternator out and have it checked.

Search this Thread