95 windstar burning raw fuel

Old 12-01-04, 06:12 PM
iamjohn313
Visiting Guest
95 windstar burning lots and lots of fuel

I have a 95 windstar with a 3.8 lt. It started smelling of fuel while running. the fuel smell is comming from the engine compartment. It is not leaking from anywhere that i can tell. The vehicle is running really rough as well. the digital display on the dash showed 78 miles til empty, started the vehicle, ran it for 5 minutes and display was reading 20 miles left. thought this was wrong until it ran out of gas shortly thereafter.
Pressure on the fuel line (near injectors) is 40.
All vacuums seem to be intact. EGR tube has small crack in it but unsure if this was done removing the egr to clean. did plug and same results.
I can remove the vacuum from the egr, plugged egr with finger and vehicle ran the same.
Please help...wife is yelling at me! She wants her van back.

Thanks,
John

Last edited by iamjohn313; 12-01-04 at 09:31 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 04:24 AM
Group Moderator
Check engine light?

Couple of possibilities:

1. Windstars had a recall for leaks on the top of the gas tank; probably not your problem if you're sure the smell is up front, but it might be worth a visual look around back for any sign of dampness or gas smell.

2. Gas-gobbling is often a sign that an O2 sensor has gone south, but you should be getting a check engine light with that.

Old 12-02-04, 06:27 AM
iamjohn313
Visiting Guest
no check engine light

I have inspected the tank...no sign of any fuel leaking...and the check engine light is not on. that surprised me because that will normally come on no matter what.

Old 12-02-04, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Wierd. I would have expected a check engine light with those kinds of symptoms. Periodically my wrecker will act exactly like that and I don't even have to troubleshoot it; it's always the O2 sensor (350 Chevy; has only one O2 sensor). Been a while since I had one go bad, but I'm fairly certain I get a check engine light.

Davo?

Old 12-04-04, 06:09 PM
Aaron63
Visiting Guest
orings on the bottom of the fuel injectors from the description of your problem.Fuel injectors will have be taken out and new rings installed.This may involve quite a bit work if your planum has to be removed to get to the injector rack.