Bleeding brakes on 1991 buick Park ave.

Old 12-02-04, 10:20 AM
Bleeding brakes on 1991 buick Park ave.

Recently replaced the master cylinder on my Park Ave.. I am having trouble bleeding the brakes.
When I changed the master cylinder I was unable to bench bleed as instructed as the rubber hose connection to the abs would not allow the reservoir to hold any more than about a eighth of an inch of fluid. So I mounted the master cylinder and attatched the rubber hose from the abs then bled the master cylinder as best I could. Then proceeded to bleed the brakes starting with the wheel farthest away from the master cylinder first. I have managed to pump lots of fluid through the system but I am not making much headway an improving the peddle firmness. Please advise.

Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-04, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
I think all the master cylinders I've ever seen came with little plastic adapters to screw into the master cylinder outlets and plastic tubes to put on the adapters to accomplish the bench bleed. Not trying to be condescending here, but are you sure you understand how to bench bleed? I suspect your problem is air in the master.

Old 12-02-04, 10:53 AM
I am pretty sure I understand the bench bleeding process however on the left side of the master cylinder reservoir, as you look at it from the front of the car, is a rubber hose that is connected to the reservoir that feeds or returns fluid from the ABS and without this hose attatched there is no way that I see to bleed this on the bench. as the unit will hold very little fluid, it runs out where this hose is to be attached.

Old 12-02-04, 10:57 AM
Group Moderator
I confess I'm not familiar with that setup, but I still suspect your problem is master cylinder bleeding related or some combination of the master cylinder and ABS.

Davo, where you at when we need you? LOL

Old 12-02-04, 02:57 PM
Why could you not just plug the hose until you were done bleeding the master cyl? If you take the brake lines off the master cyl. you can bleed it on the car with the engine off.

Old 12-02-04, 03:06 PM
That's just the ABS return hose. Plug it off and bleed as normal. I'm not sure but that may be one of the systems that requires a scanner to bleed. Nearly impossible without it.

Old 12-03-04, 10:06 AM
I believe I found the problem, it seems as though there was a bleeder screw at a rear wheel cylinder that was not seating properly. Although there was no fluid leaking, there seemed to be a air leak. Replaced the bleeders with new ones and rebled the system and at least for the time being it is okay.
Thanks for all the advice. Advice is always helpful.

Thanks again Jim

Old 12-03-04, 03:39 PM
Yes a GM tech 1 scan tool would come in real handy because it has an auto bleed function that cycles the pump and solenoids and you will never get the air out without it.I would suggest calling around and asking the price to bleed it for you.At this point it will need the wheels bled after the auto bleed is performed.I usually just bench bleed the master,perform auto bleed twice and out the door it goes.