Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1989 Honda Accord shuts off

12-03-04, 06:18 AM   #1  
1989 Honda Accord shuts off

1989 Honda Accord 4 cylinder automatic with AC.
The car will on occasion shut off like you turned off the key. No hesitation, missing etc. If you coast to a stop and then it will re start and be fine. So far it has only done it on the highway after driving 5 miles or more.

Trouble shooting ideas plaese. Ignitior or coil problem???

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

12-03-04, 09:57 AM   #2  
Or fuel filter/fuel pump. If you can't remember the last time you changed the fuel filter, I would do that before anything else. Even if it's not the problem, it's good preventive maintenance anyway.

Visiting Guest

03-27-05, 07:36 AM   #3  
abrahm12
newbie here,
my 89 accord had a simular problem, cuts off while driving, wait a few mins. then would start; problem was the distributor, replaced problem went away.

Non-US

03-27-05, 06:04 PM   #4  
There is a power relay under the dash above your left foot. When it quits, can you really quick check for spark?? I've ran into a couple that fail when warm & start to work again after they cool for 1 or 2 mins. Usually you will have spark, but no injector pulse or fuel pump. May be tricky to pinpoint

Search this Thread