94 Nissan Sentra 1.6L


Old 12-03-04, 08:28 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
94 Nissan Sentra 1.6L

The car started shaking and stalled out on me about 2 weeks ago. Having had many, many car problems in the past, I thought it felt like an exhaust problem. Sure enough, I look under the car when I get it home, and the pipe that comes down from underneath the front of the car and starts the exhaust run to the back is rusted out. What is that piece called, and should it be overly diffcult to replace myself? It's L-shaped and fixes the the next run of pipe with two bolts. I've been driving the car since then, giving it a little extra gas when idling to keep it from stalling, and it's been fine. The biggest problem I've seen is that my fuel efficiency is down by 1/3. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-04, 09:55 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 11,567
I would call it the head pipe, but I wouldn't bet that's the proper nomenclature. Probably not a difficult job if you can (a) get it up high enough to have sufficient working room underneath and (b) the bolts/nuts aren't rusted solid
Old 12-03-04, 11:08 AM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
There is a difference between rusted and rusted through. All exaust pipes rust, and will look rusted (unless you have a stainless steel system).
Old 12-03-04, 03:34 PM
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Pittsburgh,Pa
Posts: 2,417
The exhaust is not causing the stalling if it has holes in it.Does it idle rough and lack power while driving?By the way is the exhaust loud?

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes