Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 Nissan Sentra 1.6L

Visiting Guest

12-03-04, 08:28 AM   #1  
Spankyjumunkwa
94 Nissan Sentra 1.6L

The car started shaking and stalled out on me about 2 weeks ago. Having had many, many car problems in the past, I thought it felt like an exhaust problem. Sure enough, I look under the car when I get it home, and the pipe that comes down from underneath the front of the car and starts the exhaust run to the back is rusted out. What is that piece called, and should it be overly diffcult to replace myself? It's L-shaped and fixes the the next run of pipe with two bolts. I've been driving the car since then, giving it a little extra gas when idling to keep it from stalling, and it's been fine. The biggest problem I've seen is that my fuel efficiency is down by 1/3. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

12-03-04, 09:55 AM   #2  
I would call it the head pipe, but I wouldn't bet that's the proper nomenclature. Probably not a difficult job if you can (a) get it up high enough to have sufficient working room underneath and (b) the bolts/nuts aren't rusted solid

12-03-04, 11:08 AM   #3  
There is a difference between rusted and rusted through. All exaust pipes rust, and will look rusted (unless you have a stainless steel system).

12-03-04, 03:34 PM   #4  
The exhaust is not causing the stalling if it has holes in it.Does it idle rough and lack power while driving?By the way is the exhaust loud?

Search this Thread