1998 Jeep Cheroke

Old 12-04-04, 11:17 AM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Question 1998 Jeep Cheroke

I have a 1998 Jeep Cheroke and the engine would not turn over with a good battery. I jumped the starter solenoid and the engine started. I parked it for a few days so I could get a new starter. I came back and the engine would turn over strong with the old starter, but, it won't start. I still feel the starter should be replace,but, why won't the engine start? MIKESR.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-04, 02:58 PM
The one thing you can be sure of is, the starter doesn't need to be replaced if it starts by just jumping the terminals. You need to find out if you are getting power to small terminal at the starter when the key is held in "start" position. The problem could be the ignition switch, an theft system or neutral switch.

Old 12-05-04, 11:13 AM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Smile 1998 Jeep Cheroke

Originally Posted by Desi501
The one thing you can be sure of is, the starter doesn't need to be replaced if it starts by just jumping the terminals. You need to find out if you are getting power to small terminal at the starter when the key is held in "start" position. The problem could be the ignition switch, an theft system or neutral switch.
Desi501, Thanks so much for the great advice. I'll climb under and do these simple tests. I'll get back to you on what I found. MIKESR

Old 12-09-04, 10:40 AM
MIKESR
Visiting Guest
Smile

Originally Posted by MIKESR
Desi501, Thanks so much for the great advice. I'll climb under and do these simple tests. I'll get back to you on what I found. MIKESR
Desi501, Finally got under the Jeep. It was the nuetral safety switch. Thanks for the great insight, MIKESR