Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water diverter (heater control valve) question

CAL

12-04-04, 11:23 AM   #1  
water diverter (heater control valve) question

Hi - Can someone explain if it's necessary to keep this thing on my ford ranger? Is the point to help the engine warm up more quickly? I'm curious, because I really dislike plastic parts like that in an important area, in terms of leaking. (mine is leaking...)

I'd like to just bypass the whole unit.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-04-04, 02:20 PM   #2  
Chevyman
Heater control valve

It controls the coolant to your heater core. If you don't want to control your heat you can bypass.

CAL

12-04-04, 06:11 PM   #3  
No, I guess I'll use it! Thanks

12-05-04, 05:36 AM   #4  
Do you have an auto position for your fan?Are there vacuum hoses and a wiring connection going to the valve?If so it's not a heater water valve it would be for controlling the auto fan operation.

CAL

12-05-04, 08:50 AM   #5  
Hi Davo - It does have a vacuum hose (but no wiring) going to it, but it is inserted in-line with the hoses going to the heater. There is a little throttle type valve that the vacuum controls, controlling how much water goes to the heater core.

I don't really know if I have an "auto position for the fan". I'm not sure which fan you mean, or how I could tell.

Thanks

12-05-04, 11:45 AM   #6  
If it's not auto fan/ac heat you need to keep the part for the a/c heater to work properly.

Search this Thread