Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing a power steering pump on 94 Maxima

Visiting Guest

12-05-04, 07:53 AM   #1  
whcbriones
Replacing a power steering pump on 94 Maxima

I have a 94 Nissan Maxima with a power steering pump that hums. It has gradually become worse and is louder in the winter.

I work on my cars and can do most "average" jobs: brakes, oil changes, shocks/struts, repair/replace external components and assemblies.
My question is, is there anything like high pressure in a line when the engine is off, or anything unique that I need to worry about when replacing the power steering pump?

Externally, its just another assembly like the alternator, that has another of several belts running it. There are the hoses coming in and out. Do I need to be aware of anything not visible that can create a problem not addressable to a home mechanic with only a basic set of tools?

I enjoy working on cars, am not afraid to try something new, but occassionally will either have to stop a job, or find that I have to tow the car to a mechanic because I did not have sufficient "special tools" to finish a job.

Sponsored Links

12-05-04, 02:32 PM   #2  
Should be a pretty straigt forward job. Don't know what part of the country you're in, but if you're subject to rust, road salt, etc you want to be sure to soak any fittings (especially the hose fittings) with WD-40, Liquid Wrench, etc to loosen them up.

And invest in a line wrench (if you don't already have one) for the hose fittings because they tend to get rounded off fairly easily.

HTH

Matt

Search this Thread