'04 Taurus Transmission jump/vibration??

Old 12-06-04, 03:01 AM
dilbert
Visiting Guest
'04 Taurus Transmission jump/vibration??

Have an '04 Taurus, 3.0l, auto with 23,500m. I've noticed a couple strange things about it. First, when going from Park or Reverse to OD, the car jumps, unless I hold the brake in for about five seconds. Then when I'm at a stoplight, the car vibrates enough that I can feel it in the pedals and in the steering wheel. As the vehicle warms up, it doesn't seem to vibrate as much at stops, but the 'jump' when initially shifting into OD still exists. I've taken it to the dealer three times and to another dealer once and they all tell me there is nothing wrong with it.

I've also noticed that when the heat or ac is on, even at a low fan speed, the engine sounds sick, like it doesn't have enough power to run the system. This happens when the car is idling or < 1.5K rpm.

Anyone seen something like this before?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-04, 10:28 AM
Not to be a smart a__! but get it to the dealer. Its under warranty!

Old 12-06-04, 03:05 PM
dilbert
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by daswede
Not to be a smart a__! but get it to the dealer. Its under warranty!
I did that. They are telling me there is nothing wrong with it. We've gone there several times, they checked all the fluids, reprogrammed the computer, etc.

Old 12-06-04, 03:38 PM
One thing that did occur to me was that the motormounts are broken,loose,etc. Has car been in a accident?
Did you buy this car new,or used??
Ifall else fails,i think you have to contact Ford's regional Manager and have them get together with you and the dealership.
I don't know if your state has a lemon law or not,but it might be worth your while to check it out. Earler model tauruses had many problems with their transmissions. You might want to check the national Highway safety
web site for TSBs (Technical service bulletins) or recalls.

Old 12-07-04, 03:48 AM
dilbert
Visiting Guest
Car is used, one owner. Carfax showed a clean history on it when we bought it.

I was thinking about the motor mounts myself. I wish I had a place where I could get under this silly thing. I'm used to pickups where I can crawl under without ramps.

Will research TSBs.. thanks!

Old 12-07-04, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by dilbert
I did that. They are telling me there is nothing wrong with it. We've gone there several times, they checked all the fluids, reprogrammed the computer, etc.

Let me guess, they tell you its "normal"? Don't settle for it. If it were normal, would you be asking about it here? Tell them to show you the same behavior on a new model. Complain to the next higher guy on the food chain, if he doesn't satisfy your problems, do what daswede said and call the regional office. There's no reason to break your own back on this.

Old 12-09-04, 06:46 PM
transwizard
Visiting Guest
You don't need to get under this car to check the motor or transmission mounts. it works nest with 2 people. open the hood and have the other person watch while you put the car in gear and lightly step on accelerator while holding the brake pedal down. you should see the motor rise up in the front in drive and in the back in reverse if the mounts are bad. also some of the taurus vehicles have oil filled mounts which may or may not be bad

Old 12-09-04, 10:12 PM
Does it vibrate if the transmission is in park or neutral, with foot off brake pedal and does it vibrate when you apply brakes before putting it in gear?

Search this Thread