2000 Chevy PU

Old 12-07-04, 05:43 AM
Lindsey
Visiting Guest
2000 Chevy PU

It died on me and I had to get towed. Felt like it was starving for fuel. I made it to work and changed the fuel filter. Then coming home after about 12 miles highway speed, it died again. No more. No service engine light. I thought it should have come on but it didn't. After it was all over and done with I turned the key on and the service light does work. Any clues why that light would not come on in that situation? 5300 engine and 116k miles. Only one driver ever.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-04, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a fuel pump problem, shooting from the hip.

Old 12-07-04, 08:37 AM
The service engine light merely means the computer has detected a problem
Sometimes it's ongoing and sometimes it's intermittant and stored in memory
If your vehicle dies from say, a bad ignition module:
If the computer doesn't use information from, said module, it would have no reason to turn on the light if it failed, and wouldn't store any codes about it, and wouldn't be able to if it wanted to anyway

If your computer is set to always assume the proper fuel pressure from the pump and doesn't get actual readings to help your engine run, then if the pump failed, the computer would not be able to turn on the service light

These are just examples, and not intended as a diagnosis of your problem
Which you didn't ask about but you may want to check for spark and check for fuel when it's in failure

Old 12-07-04, 04:19 PM
This what to check first.There are grounds 1 at the back of the passenger side cylinder head and 1 by the thermostat housing.Make sure they are clean and no wires are broken.Check the ECM #1 and B fuses in the underhood fuse box,check fuses #4(guages),#7(aux power),#18(brake) in the i/p fuse box.Then remove the connectors from the VCM(computer)located next to the underhood fuse box and check for corrosion or water intrusion.If you don't find anything wrong so far(doubtful)check for spark and fuel pressure.The check engine light is powered by the guage fuse and grounded through the VCM at either g103 or g104 the grounds I described to you.Of course it could be a burned out bulb but that wouldn't make the truck not start.Another possibility could be a bad ignition switch so a power check of the above fuses would be in order with a testlight not a dmm.Do these checks and let me know from there.Don't skip anything or you will spend money needlessly.

Old 12-07-04, 11:13 PM
Lindsey
Visiting Guest
Wow at all the feedback. Thanks guys. It is at the shop. I bought a Chilton's manual specific to 2000 and up GM trucks. I am hoping it will be something simple they find especially with Christmas here. I am holding your suggestions for when I get it back. As I looked thru the Chilton book, I get the impression you can't get the flashing service engine light to use for looking up a problem. It only talks about using a scan tool. I liked the old days when you could use a jumper in the hook up under the dash and get the code to flash. Can you get a scan tool at a reasonable cost? Does it have to be specific to make model etc? Are they limited to certain generations of vehicles like, one tool would work on late 80's vehicles but not on 2000 plus vehicles? Would you have to buy from Snap On ? Maybe cheaper to buy new vehicle. LOL Thanks again folks.

Old 12-08-04, 04:11 AM
For 1996 and newer a code reader will work on most vehicles.I don't think a scan tool is going to communicate with your truck given the symptoms.

Search this Thread