Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Going To File Down Crank Shaft Tip To Remove Timeing Sprocket

Visiting Guest

12-07-04, 08:38 PM   #1  
ddckec
Going To File Down Crank Shaft Tip To Remove Timeing Sprocket

now that the crank pully is off i decided to replace the front crankshaft seal due to the amount of oil that was on my timing sprocket, the oil was clearly not coming from the upper end cause there was no signs of oil on the upper end

my sprocket moves freely back and forth but sticks where the face of the sprocket meets the end of the crank shaft. whats up with that?

i did hit the crankshaft when trying to free up the sprocket with what i call a dead blow. this is a piece of hard wood and a hammer

have i unknowningly put a ding or something in it? causeing the sprocket not to come off? to look at it you see no signs of a ding. and i ran my fingernail around it from back to front and felt no ding or rim.

whats up ?? and can i file it down ???????

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-07-04, 08:41 PM   #2  
ddckec
surely wood would not smush a crankshaft,

12-08-04, 02:43 AM   #3  
If you need to file the edge (first 1/16") of the crank that's fine.
It only takes less then .001 to jam a sprocket. that's less then 1/2 the thickness of a hair on your head.
Don't file more then you must.(.001)
Don't file a flat, keep the file moving.

Don't lose the key for the sprocket.

Just NOTE's:

With the Timing belt removed, some valves are open.
You no longer have valve/cam timing with Pistons.

If you turn the crank, the Piston moving up may bend a valve.
Or if you turn the cam shaft, you may open a valve in a cylinder that the piston is at the top, bending a valve.

Not, Not all engines will bend the valves.

If you must turn something do it very slowly.(remove the spark plugs).
You may need to look in the spark plug holes to see the pistons moving up.
and look at the cam to see what valve may be open.

Their was something about only turning a motor in the direction it normally runs.
had to do with the slack of the timing belt and Damaging the belt adjuster or something.
Don't turn the engine backwards?

12-08-04, 03:31 AM   #4  
Just run your fingers all around the edge of the shaft. Most likely there is one burr that's causing the problem. I'm sure you didn't mushroom the entire shaft so just find the bad spot.

12-08-04, 09:27 PM   #5  
Hold everything!!!!! Don't turn the engine over and put he file away!!! Unless you used petrified wood you did not hurt the crankshaft. GWIZ is right it only takes a very smal amount of interference to keep the sprocket from sliding off easily. Even a little varnish from the oil can do that.

Get about 6" of about 180 grit emery cloth, wrap it around the crank and polish it. I will bet in no time the sprocket will slide off.

Befor you put the new seal on make sure the crank is good and smooth. Use WD40 or similar or even oil on the emery cloth to smooth the crank. Do not do this where the seal rides though. Grease between the lips of the seal before you put it on and wipe a thin film of oil on the crank so you do not damage the seal putting it on. This keeps the seal lubricated at start up as a dry seal can wear quickly if oil does not get to it right away.

Use some 400 wet/dry sand paper lubricated to polish the area where the seal rides. Clean all residue off with brake clean and dry off.

If the seal has worn a groove in the crank you will need to get a repair kit at the auto store. It is a very thin sleeve that goes over the crank to give the seal a smooth surface to ride on. Follow the directions I think you lock tite it on and they are so thin they can easily be bent when installing. It might use a standard seal or it may come with a special seal.

Clean the recess where the seal fits into. If the seal has a rubber coating on the out side just tap it in evenly so it goes in straight. If it has a metal out side use some sealer like hi tack because if the seal distorts a small amount on installation or if there is a scratch on the outside of the seal or in the recess it can leak. Dont get oil or grease on the sealer.

By the way you forgot to tell us what you are working on again.

Good luck and let us know how you come out.

Search this Thread