Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Galant Transmission Problem

Visiting Guest

12-08-04, 06:52 AM   #1  
summerspop
Galant Transmission Problem

I have a 94 Mitsubishi Galant that I am having problems with. When in Park, the axle looks like normal but when I put it into any other gear, it acts like it is in neutral. If I dont start the car but turn the keyover to the accesories position, I get an electrical sound from the transmission when I go thru the gears. The noise is only there for about 5 seconds in each gear except for Low where the noise is continuous. I removed the pan and filter and found a selinoid type thing that seems to be where the problem is coming from. Before I take it to a transmission shop I want to be sure what the problem is so that I dont spend $1800 for a new transmission if it is something smaller.

Any help would be appreciated!

Lee

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

12-08-04, 07:26 AM   #2  
Before you start replacing parts, you should scan it for transmission codes. Might point you towards the problem. Unlike engine-related problems, the transmission codes do not always cause a check engine light. You will need to do some research on how to retrieve the codes on a '94 Galant, but that's probably OBD-I and there should be a way for you to read them yourself.

Visiting Guest

12-08-04, 08:27 AM   #3  
summerspop
what does OBD-I mean?

Group Moderator

FL

12-08-04, 03:13 PM   #4  
On-board diagnostics, 1st generation. Anything past 1996 is OBD-II, 2nd generation. The OBD-I stuff can often have the trouble codes read by jumpering pins in the diagnostic connector and counting the number of times the check engine light flashes to give you the 2-digit code. OBD-II stuff requires a scanner to not only read the codes, but also to reset the light. Generally speaking, OBD-I cars can have the light and code histories cleared simply by disconnecting the battery. With OBD-II even when you disconn the battery it retains the codes. I'm hoping one of the auto pros will come along and enlighten us on the procedure to get the codes. I did a quick search earlier and didn't come up with anything.

Visiting Guest

12-09-04, 09:28 PM   #5  
reverend
If i am not mistaken i think that is the same tranny used in hyudai scoupes and dodge colts. In any event the solenoids you are referring to would be for the pressure control solenoid, shift control solenoids A and B, and the damper clutch control. As a guess I'd be more inclined to think the sound has more to do with an inhibitor switch. In any case a trip to your local library will probably pay off with a Mitchell tranny book with specifics for that car. Especially what is needed to retrieve code like tow guy said

Visiting Guest

12-11-04, 09:04 AM   #6  
summerspop
I got an online service manual from alldata.com and found how to test the solenoids. I tested them and they were not the problem. I will see what I can find out where the inhibitor switch and if it's the problem. Thanks for all of your input.

Search this Thread