1999 Grand Am code help please

Old 12-09-04, 06:50 AM
Question 1999 Grand Am code help please

1999 Grand Am 79,000 miles automatic 3.1 L v-6

Car runs ok. Check engine light is on. Codes are.
1. Transient DTC PO300 random multiple cylinder misfiredetected
MIL NOT REQUESTED Since IGN NOT RUN
Since Clear P/F
2. History DIC PO0440 EVAP Emission Control System Malfunction
MIL Requested
Since IGN NOT RUN
SIince Clear P/F

Also Check Tire Pressure light came on. Found 1 tire at 41 psi. The other 3 were 32 psi. I lowered the 1 tire to 32 psi. but the tire pressure light is still on. Do I need to reset the light or will it reset by its self?

Any help you can give will be appreciated. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-04, 03:51 PM
The tire pressure light will need reset for the light to go out.Turn the key on engine off,press the reset button(in the fuse panel)and release,the oil change light will flash,press and release the reset button again the oil light will stop flashing and the low tire light will flash,press the reset button and HOLD until the chime sounds the system will be reset now.The p0440 is a evap leak code in history and could have been a loose gas cap that has since been tightened so we will pass on that code unless it reappears.The p0300 misfire code could be any cylinder out of the 6.I would pull the wires of of the coils and look for corrosion or black soot or black lines.Also pull all of the spark plugs and check for the same issues.If any corrosion or black soot or lines are found you must replace the wire and the other component (plug or coil) it was attached to.You could also have a vacuum leak but check what I've told you first.

Old 12-09-04, 05:27 PM
Thanks Davo. We will check what you said and see what we find. Might as well put new plugs in while they are out.

Old 12-10-04, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by car nut
Thanks Davo. We will check what you said and see what we find. Might as well put new plugs in while they are out.
You'll find that the wires generally deteriorate faster than the plugs these days. The corrosion at the coill end that Davo speaks about is pretty common also.

Search this Thread