Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chevy Tahoe front-end sagging

Visiting Guest

12-09-04, 08:13 AM   #1  
CB_Mumford
Chevy Tahoe front-end sagging

Vehicle Info:

2002 Chevy Tahoe LT, 5.3 Liter multi-fuel, automatic transmission, Autoride Suspension. Everything is original stock except normal maintenance changing fluids, filters and such. 39K miles.

I noticed that the front-end is a little lower than it was the last time I changed oil. Oil change before last, I could slide under the front and change the oil and filter without jacking-up the vehicle and without my chest rubbing the underside of the vehicle. I believe the torsion bars have allowed the front of the vehicle to drop about an inch. I would like to get the front-end aligned, but first make sure the Tahoe front-end height is adjusted to factory specification, if there is such. Not sure, but I assume the front vehicle height might be measured on level ground from the center of the front wheels to the bottom of the front fender wells? Is there a specification on the height of this vehicle?

Thanks,
CB

Sponsored Links

12-09-04, 03:29 PM   #2  
Yes there is a spec but it isn't measured the way you think and it varies according to vehicle 2wd or 4 wd or heavy duty.It's called Z trim height on your vehicle.When you call around about an alignment make sure they can adjust ride height and inform them you want it set to specs prior to adjusting the alignment.Most places will not correct trim(ride)height prior to the alignment trust me on that unless told to do so.Also have a full tank of gas when you go because the spec takes this into account.That may also be why it was sitting lower in the front last time if the tank was lower on gas.A 26 gallon tank is kinda heavy when full.

Visiting Guest

12-09-04, 03:53 PM   #3  
CB_Mumford
Thanks! I would not have thought of having a full tank of gas. I called a GM dealership today and the service writer said front-end alignment shops take care of this adjustment. I asked him if the specification on this adjustment was in the GM Service Manual or www.Alldata.com, and he didn't know. I agree with you, they don't make this adjustment unless asked or reminded. I forgot to say I had 4 wheel drive and no heavy duty suspension. Good point about 26 gallons of gasoline weight. Water is over 8 pounds per gallon, so 26 gallons of gas is not trivial.

I called to make an appointment for a front-end alignment and asked the alignment tech about the height adjustment and he said they adjust the height if it needs it. I have an appointment tomorrow and will ask again to remind him.

12-10-04, 03:50 AM   #4  
The Z height measurement spec for your truck is 4.5 inches if he knows that number when he is done you will know he checked it.The spec is listed in the GM service information system(online service manual)but would be costly for you to access.I guess you will also know if you climb under the bumper again .

Search this Thread