HORRIBLE gas mileage

Old 12-11-04, 10:43 AM
BrooklynRacer
Visiting Guest
HORRIBLE gas mileage

On my 1998 Acura Integra, I am only getting 140 miles on a full tank in New York City stop and go traffic... this has to be horrible.. I dont know if this is good cause this is my first car, i dont know if this is supposed to be because of the traffic conditions or am i just getting bad gas mileage?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-04, 12:30 PM
Bad Mileage

I don't know how big your tank is but it seems like poor mileage to me. How does the car run? It may just need a tune up. Start by looking at the spark plugs and see if there is any wear or fouling. You should also get a service manual if you plan to do your own repairs. The manual should show pictures of the plugs in different situations and explain what they will look like for each situation. It will also step you through the tune up and preventitive maintenance procedures. Also check the air filter. Hold it up to the light and see if you can see any light through it. If not, It's another sign that a complete tune up needs to be done. If you don't want to buy a manual, most larger libraries have them to look at in the reference section.

Good luck?

Old 12-13-04, 03:37 PM
Does your name reflect the type of driving you do?Have you changed anything from stock?

Old 12-13-04, 05:00 PM
BrooklynRacer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by davo
Does your name reflect the type of driving you do?Have you changed anything from stock?

I just did a tune up in october... Changed air filter, plugs, distributor cap and rotor, oil change, changed oil filter, fuel system cleaning plus changed fuel filter... The only Mod i have is a cold air intake with a K&N high flow cone filter... Also i don't race or drive hard.. i am only a weekend driver... i only put 800 miles on it and have had it for 4 months... it takes about 11 gallons to full up the tank...
I am confused on what i should do cause 140 miles on a full tank is dismall

Old 12-13-04, 05:50 PM
13 mpg, short runs ,engine does not get up to normal temp, stop and go.

That might be what your going to get with that type of use.

Try going on a trip and recording the mileage between fill-ups and see what you get?

Old 12-13-04, 06:15 PM
BrooklynRacer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by toyotaman11769
13 mpg, short runs ,engine does not get up to normal temp, stop and go.

That might be what your going to get with that type of use.

Try going on a trip and recording the mileage between fill-ups and see what you get?
Thats what i will probably do... fill up the tank, get in I 95 South and see how far i can go before the gas light comes on...

Old 12-13-04, 08:29 PM
jameskane
Visiting Guest
Brooklyn--

I'm driving an Acura too--wasn't too sure about the gas mileage myself, because I have a screwy gas gauge. Check the owner's manual or CHilton's for the gas tank capacity--maybe you're just not using all of your gas even though the gas gauge says so (bad float in the tank/sending unit?).

Just some food for thought.

Old 12-13-04, 08:59 PM
BrooklynRacer
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by jameskane
Brooklyn--

I'm driving an Acura too--wasn't too sure about the gas mileage myself, because I have a screwy gas gauge. Check the owner's manual or CHilton's for the gas tank capacity--maybe you're just not using all of your gas even though the gas gauge says so (bad float in the tank/sending unit?).

Just some food for thought.

the capacity is supposed to be 13.2 but at the tank, the nozzle first shuts off at around 10 gallons

Old 12-13-04, 10:48 PM
Start with Post # 2, Book, spark plugs.....

More things.

What size is the motor ?
How many cylinders ?
Ask someone that has one what the gas mileage is.

Get a locking gas cap.
Check for gas leaks with the car running.

Check your "Check engine Light" If you have one.
Does the light come on when you turn the key to the run position, then go out when the car is started ?
Or does it stay on.

Put your hand over the exhaust pipe, then smell your hand.
Can you smell Gas.

Smell your engine oil for a Gas smell.
A leaky injector may force gas in your oil.

A bad oxygen sensor can kill your mileage 50%

Search this Thread