1998 V6 Mustang Won't Shift from Park

Old 12-12-04, 10:21 AM
crutan
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1998 V6 Mustang Won't Shift from Park

I have a 1998 V6 Mustang with an automatic tranmission. Recently, It has become really difficult to depress the button on the shift and shift the transmission out of park. While the car was at the dealer for a broken seat track, they told me that I had a bad interlock cable and that the repair would be $350. I guess that my questions are 1) Is there any way that I can check to see if this cable is the problem and 2) Can I do this repair myself or should I just pay to have it done? Thanks in advance for any assistance that you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-04, 12:45 PM
Shifter problem?

Have you spilt anything around the shifter? Coke,Coffee etc. What happens is it gets on the cable and sticks. You just might be able to remove the cable and shifter assembly and clean with soap and water. But do re-lube.

Old 12-12-04, 07:51 PM
WGW
This brought to mind a problem a customer of ours had last week.
He complained that he had to struggle to remove his ignition key from his Oldsmobile. I discovered that the key only stuck if the car was shifted into drive and back to park. Then I noticed that the button on his shifter was slow in returning to its rest position, and most times did'nt come out its full travel.
A couple of shots of WD40 while working the button and it worked like new.
I love the look on a customers face when what they thought was a major problem is solved so easily, and at no charge.

You might try lubing it as well