Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

non-starter

Visiting Guest

12-13-04, 06:33 AM   #1  
postmanpatty
non-starter

Hi, I've got a mercedes van, 407, quite old (1983). It ownt start although I've charged battery full-up. Lights come on dimly, but not enough power to turn the engine over...anyone any ideas what I could try?

Thanks Mira!

Sponsored Links

TX

12-13-04, 07:38 AM   #2  
cables

I would make sure your cables are clean and have no corrosion make sure all connections are clean.

Visiting Guest

12-13-04, 11:16 AM   #3  
postmanpatty
Thanks for your reply!
I went and had a look, followed the cable that attaches to the plus terminal of the battery. It goes all the way underneath the van into a thing (is it the alternator?) and the rubber is smoldered...uh, does that mean I need to replace the whole length of cable?

12-13-04, 11:43 AM   #4  
"does that mean I need to replace the whole length of cable?"

start by seeing if the connection (underneath the rubber) can be tightened/cleaned/reconnected. Its getting hot because the connection was loose.

TX

12-13-04, 03:19 PM   #5  
Overheat

That is correct the cable is fryed to do the correct repair you would need to replace the cable.Overheating it has probbably caused it to beome brittle.It more then likley is connected to your starter.Make sure that you use a wire brush after you replace the cable to clean the mating surface you might have some arcing there.
You could replace the connection but you would have to cut the cable back to were there is no damage and then it might be to short and also it is not a good repair IMO.
I would also the negative side and also clean all connections on both ends,

Search this Thread