96 lumina 3.1

Old 12-13-04, 07:03 AM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 96 lumina 3.1

well i found out what ruined the old oil pump. after changing the oil pump on my lumina, i was ready to do an oil change. noticed that coolant as low this last week. sufice to say when i pulled the dipstick it cas coolant in it.
does anyone know if this is usually the gasket between the upper and lower manifold ?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-04, 08:07 AM
intake gasket. Had to have it replaced myself on a 96 3.1 lumina. Pretty common on the 3.1. My telltale symptom was the white-ish stuff when you take off the oil-fill-cap.

Old 12-13-04, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by mr_barley
does anyone know if this is usually the gasket between the upper and lower manifold ?
No, it wouldn't be that. The gasket under the LOWER manifold is one of a few possibilities. Your going to have to start taking things apart until you see the problem. Those heads can crack if it was overheated badly previously. You have to remove the intake on the way to the heads anyway.

Old 12-13-04, 04:59 PM
posible it is lower intake more than likely head gaskets pull some spark plugs check if thay are white specked

Old 12-13-04, 08:57 PM
LIM is a know problem in the 3.1 or 3100 as it was known in Pontiacs.

Old 12-14-04, 03:13 AM
Originally Posted by Cabot
LIM is a know problem in the 3.1 or 3100 as it was known in Pontiacs.
As blown head gaskets are also.

Old 12-14-04, 03:28 AM
I work in a small shop and we probably do 3-4 lower intakes for coolant or oil leaks a week.We also do head gaskets but it would be on a bi-monthly basis.If you remove the lower intake you would be able to see the break in the gasket.Word of caution the pushrods are 2 different lengths so don't put them in the wrong place on reassembly.If there was enough coolant in the oil to damage the pump there may not be much left of the engine bearings.If the oil was full of coolant why was it not addressed at the time the pump was changed?

Old 12-14-04, 07:39 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
there was no oil in it when the oil pump was changed. (this is the one that was blowing the oil filter gasket off). we tried the plug (bypass valve at the filter) that you sent me a pix of 1st.
after that my friend towed it and replaced the oil pump. things were fine for a bit. but the low coolant light came on a day later. i added coolant and didn't think about it again until this morning when the light came on again. this time i checked the dipstick because of all i've read and sure enough, it was "cocoa" and "over full"

by the way. in all of this the temp has never gone higher than mid-range. in fact it normally is about 1/6th abouve the lower stop with full heat.

i found a local shop that will do the lower gasket (said they have done many of them) for about 450.00 plus tax. i dropped the car off tonight . will let you know if that was it.

thanks again

Jim r.

Old 12-17-04, 07:26 PM
mr_barley
Visiting Guest
fixed

since the weather got cold and no garage i found a shop that did the job for $512.00. this actually worked out well as the total price of this car is now 512 + 200 (oil pump) + 360 i paid for car initially.

still needs paint but i'm very happy with the way it runs.
oh yes and it was the lower gasket.