Who is at fault?

Old 12-14-04, 10:34 AM
kar222en
Visiting Guest
Question Who is at fault?

Maybe I am just going to have to pay for this myself. But, I thought that I would check with all of you knowledgeable people first.

I was driving down the freeway last week and there were pieces of truck tires scattered over the road. The car ahead of me ran over a large piece of it and I had no choice but to run over it to. It did quite a bit of damage, at least $1200 worth.

I am in California; will Caltrans cover any of the costs? Is there anyone else that would be responsible for debris in the road? My insurance deductible is $500 but I am worried that my rates will increase if I go through the insurance.

Thank you,
kar222en

Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-04, 02:25 PM
For legal advice for both of your posts try http://freeadvice.com/

Old 12-14-04, 03:51 PM
skim35
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by kar222en
Maybe I am just going to have to pay for this myself. But, I thought that I would check with all of you knowledgeable people first.

I was driving down the freeway last week and there were pieces of truck tires scattered over the road. The car ahead of me ran over a large piece of it and I had no choice but to run over it to. It did quite a bit of damage, at least $1200 worth.

I am in California; will Caltrans cover any of the costs? Is there anyone else that would be responsible for debris in the road? My insurance deductible is $500 but I am worried that my rates will increase if I go through the insurance.

Thank you,
kar222en
This is your fault.

Department of Transportation shares some guilt, but only if you can prove it (depends on states) meaning that someone had to report the problem for least week before the accident.

Insurance company will cover acts of god, the story would've been different if a live deer decided to run into your car. but dead piece of rubber doesn't count. (Even a dead deer on the road wouldn't be covered, even if the car front of you ran it over)

Old 12-14-04, 03:58 PM
In Pa I've seen the insurance company pay for damage caused by running over dead rocks it's called collision coverage.The deductible would need to be satisfied though.The site I listed is a doityourself.com affiliate so I say ask a free question won't cost anything but a few electrons.