'97 lumina missfire

Old 12-16-04, 07:48 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
'97 lumina missfire

I recently bought a '97 lumina w/ 3.1 l v-6.
Two weeks ago I got a rough idle on start up and a flashing check engine light. Soon it smoothed out and the CEL became steady. Autozone read the code and told me it was a #3 misfire. I pulled of both ends of the wire and but it back on.
I had no problems until today. I again had the rough idle on start-up. Based on experience, I pushed on all the wires and when I restarted the car was smooth and the flashing CEL had changed to steady. This time A. Zone said it was a #4 missfire.

Any ideas on where to start?

Old 12-16-04, 09:04 PM
T
Replace all spark plug wires and spark plugs perhaps?

Old 12-17-04, 07:57 AM
P
Plugs at firewall

Sure that sounds like an easy first step.

How do the pros get to the three plugs againsst the firewall? The last GM product I owned was an '84 Pontiac 6000 and it too was a job to get to those plugs. The clearance appears even smaller on this car.

Old 12-17-04, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by peabees
How do the pros get to the three plugs againsst the firewall? The last GM product I owned was an '84 Pontiac 6000 and it too was a job to get to those plugs. The clearance appears even smaller on this car.
That's why they pay us the "big bucks"

If it has a "dog bone" mount in the front, sometimes you can remove the bolt and roll the engine forward to get more access. They make a tool to hold it there. We know it's not easy but we have to deal with these problems everyday.

Old 12-17-04, 04:11 PM
D
I used to roll the engine but now on the newer 3100 I remove the coil pack you get all the room you need in under 5 minutes with hand tools.I can do it even faster with air tools.Sometimes depending on model I remove the alternator to access the plugs and wires.If you do both I'll bet you would think it's like changing the front plugs and wires.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: