Taurus idle problem

Old 12-16-04, 10:59 PM
NiteShift
Visiting Guest
Taurus idle problem

My 2001 Taurus recently developed an idle problem, basically whenever the cooling fans kick on. There has been no check engine light. I replaced a s!!tload of parts; EGR valve, MAF sensor, TPS, PFE sensor, IAC valve, plugs & wires, canister purge solenoid, fuel filter etc, and there was no improvement at all. Finally I took it to the dealer and they flushed the injectors/intake manifold. Well, now it is idling better but still misfires some, though not as often. Should I take it back to the dealer and have them repeat the injector flush since there was some improvement?

Last edited by NiteShift; 12-16-04 at 11:18 PM. Reason: left out some info
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-04, 03:46 AM
you may want to take it back to the dealer or another shop and have it diagnosed it is doubtful another intake or injector cleaning would offer any improvement in the condition.
a more specific description of the problem and when it occurs may get you more replies.

Old 12-17-04, 04:15 AM
Take it back!

I have seen air filter boxes that were not install correctly cause this? But at the same time injectors seem to go out on some? Most of time it's just one injector.

Old 12-17-04, 03:41 PM
You stated you had an idle problem. You replaced a bunch of unnessessary sensors. Once they cleaned the throttle body, it idled fine. Where did the miss come from. You never mentioned that berfore. You also never mentioned checking the obvious, secondary ignition components like plugs and wires.

Old 12-18-04, 02:15 AM
Originally Posted by NiteShift
And yes I did mention the "obvious secondary ignition components like plugs and wires". I said I replaced them.
Your right, I did miss the part about the plugs and wires. My point was that misfire wasn't your original complaint. It was poor idle. Is it missing under load? Is it setting any misfire codes? Can you isolate which cylinder?

Last edited by Desi501; 12-18-04 at 02:39 AM.
Old 12-23-04, 07:32 PM
NiteShift
Visiting Guest
I guess I didn't describe the problem very well. Basically what I have is a misfire that is noticable at idle. At RPM's you can't hear or feel it. What happens is that if I'm sitting there at idle with the heater on, as soon as the cooling fans come on it begins to miss very noticably. I was told that IAC, plugs & wires, MAF sensor could cause this, or even the DPFE sensor. I replaced all those but the problem persists. Also, the throttle body is clean.
The Ford dealer recommended an injector flush, so I had them do that, but it didn't cure the misfire problem. There is no CEL light, but the dealer scoped it and said it was getting a random misfire, but didn't say what code.
What about the coil? Will a bad coil cause this kind of thing?

Last edited by NiteShift; 12-23-04 at 08:00 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 12-24-04, 03:55 AM
Misfire?

OH! Wait a minute that computer is smart enough to remember what happened? If it did have a misfire and they checked POWER BALANCE and it wasn't there at this time. Than they should check MODE 6 DATA. It will show what cylinder and what percent of the time it misfired. Most likely that misfire is an injector. Now! What cylinder? What was the misfire code that they gave you? (P0301 is misfire #1 cylinder,P0302 misfire #2 cylinder and so on.) There is another test that they should have ran an it a Relative Injector Flow Test.

Note: I have seen squirrels and chipmunks chew the wires on the injectors into. Look under the upper intake.

Old 12-24-04, 04:53 AM
suggest geting it diagnossed at a shop to see if the engine is actually missing and that you are not just feeling a vibration from the cooling fan.
did you have this misfiring problem before the spark plugs was changed?

Old 12-30-04, 01:15 PM
cancruiser
Visiting Guest
Pain in the .....

I too am having the same problem with my 96 3.0GL Taurus. The dealer had it for 2 days and changed the EGR and did a injector flush.....twice.

It has new plugs, wires, coil pack, fuel filter. The only code is misfire on cyl 6 but now it is constantly misfiring no longer just at a stop.

BTW: I also replaced the Cam Position sensor and shaft which were totally destroyed.

I spent over $800 so far trying to fix this misfire to no avail.

Next step...... ????

Please!

Last edited by cancruiser; 12-30-04 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 07:54 PM
injector ?????

Swap #6 injector with #4 injector and see if the miss don't move? I have seen a number of these doing this.

Old 01-04-05, 01:12 PM
NiteShift
Visiting Guest
I wound up getting a set of "reconditioned" injectors and that cured the misfire. Thanks for everyone's replys

Old 01-04-05, 04:39 PM
tinker toys
Visiting Guest
how about a non tec check? I would lift the hood at night and look for any arcing from the coil pack wires etc. also did anyone check the coils for output rateing to see if one or more coils are weak?