Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

water in the oil

Visiting Guest

12-17-04, 04:41 AM   #1  
mulderstu
water in the oil

help my car a fiat punto is using water, overheating and there is a sludge material around the oil cap. I have no idea what is wrong. Please help

Sponsored Links

12-17-04, 05:14 AM   #2  
I'm not familiar with Fiat engines but if the sludge around the oil cap is milky whitish stuff it's usually a good indication that the head gasket is leaking

WV

12-17-04, 07:07 AM   #3  
Sludge around the oil cap most likely means that your car has had less than recommended maintenance. If the sludge looks kinda milky then you have condensation getting in there. This is not definitavely a blown head gasket. But it certainly is something to look into. You either have interference with the caps sealing potential or you have condensation entering. Either was it should be addressed. Although if you are in a relative cold climate right now then it could be nothing. Take a look at the oil dipstick and see if the level is high and the color and consistency of the oil. If it is milky then you likely have a head gasket issue or worse a cracked cylinder head. You say you are "using" coolant. Are you "using" it or "losing" it? Do you see a leak anywhere? I would start by looking for leaks. If you cant find a leak then you need to get the cooling system pressure tested.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Search this Thread