Suburban - Fuel Pumps

Old 12-17-04, 07:01 PM
Chevyman
Visiting Guest
Suburban - Fuel Pumps

Does anyone know if GM recommends replacing the fuel pumps on Suburbans at a certain milage before they fail? I had an 87 suburban that had the fuel pump fail on me at the lake one summer - no warning at all. dropped the tank at the lake and replaced but it pretty much ruined my weekend. Now I have a 2000 3/4 ton 4wd company suburban with 111,000 miles and since we are required to keep them until 200K miles, would it be wise to replace the pump now or wait till it fails and stands me in a remote location? I travel across 3 states to off road areas. We just had another company suburban (2000) that had 150K miles and its pump failed but it would quit, then after cooling run for awhile. Does it help to keep full tanks of gas in these to cool the pump? Also why do these damn pumps whine so loud? Every one of our suburbans whines even when they were new.

Old 12-17-04, 08:25 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
there isnt any set interval for replacing fuel pumps and even if you did replace the pump just as maintence it still may fail.
the pump real run cooler when it is submerged in gasoline so it would have a potential longer life span if you do not run below 1/4 tank full before refilling. changing the fuel filter, { if servicable as many models are not but I think your model is} at regular intervals will also help from having future fuel pump problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: