ford taurus brakes

Old 12-18-04, 07:35 AM
jackal
Visiting Guest
ford taurus brakes

Replacing frt brakes 97 Taurus.How does the piston go back.Did it a couple years ago.I thought it twisted in .Any help?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-04, 08:17 AM
DRCZ24
Visiting Guest
Twist it home

I don't know specifically if yours twists or not, but I'm sure if there are any raised portions sticking off the face of the piston or if there's any holes on the face those would be where a professional tool would go. Otherwise, pistons I've done that needed pressed back in, I was able to get a pair of Channel Lock plyers on them and twist them in. I would think you would turn clockwise, but go slow to see if it's going the right way at first. If you wanted to know with out a doubt I would imagine you could go to your local library and look at a service manual for your car, it would tell you exactly what to do.

Old 12-18-04, 09:03 AM
Theres no such thing as a FRONT caliper that has to be turned to retract. That setup is only for the rear when the emergency brake is incorporated into the caliper rather than separate. You can go to your local auto parts store and purchase for around $7 a tool that has a plate about the same shape as a brake pad with a screw through the middle. Put an old brake pad against the caliper piston, and put the tool in there and start turning, very slowly. This will push the piston back in. By far easier than a pair of channel locks or a C-clamp.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 12-18-04, 09:24 AM
I have a 97 taurus. I've always used a C-clamp to push the piston in and its always worked well for me and was easy. This is the ways its descibed in the Haynes manual. No special tools are required or even mentioned in the manual but if you want to buy a tool like billy mentioned to make it easier, thats up to you.

Old 12-18-04, 04:02 PM
One more detail is that you should open the bleeder when you retract the piston so as not to push dirt back up through the system.