Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

95 Dodge Neon

Visiting Guest

12-18-04, 08:15 AM   #1  
joquin
95 Dodge Neon

Oil mixed in radiator, but no evidence of water and oil mixture anywhere
else in engine or transmission fluids. The head gasket was supposed to have been replaced recently. What is the cause of the oil in the radiator; could it be a bad radiator and not in need of engine repair?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

12-18-04, 08:21 AM   #2  
DRCZ24
Oil in Radiator

If you're absolutely sure there's oil in your radiator, it would seem more likely that it would enter into the cooling system through the intake manifolds not the head gasket. In most cases the intake manifolds have to come off before the heads do and there could be a chance the gasket was either damaged during installation or installed wrong. If you flush and fill the radiator and oil keeps dumping in, I would definately suspect the intake manifods.

WV

12-18-04, 08:57 AM   #3  
The Neon had chronic head gasket problems. Do you know for sure that it was replaced recently? If not I would certainly get it checked out. Oil in the coolant isnt as bad as coolant in the oil, but it still needs addressed either way. I would put my money on either a bad gasket or a bad swap job.
Hope this helps,
Billy

12-18-04, 09:00 AM   #4  
its possible someone may have put oil into the cooling system thinking they was adding it to the engine I have seen it more than once on neons.
if it has a pinkish color to it is likely transmision fluid due to a bad cooler in the radiator and it does not always contaminate the transmission fluid to a noticable degree but is always a good idea to change the transmission fluid also just incase a small amount of antifreeze did enter the transmission.
the intake isnt even a possibility on this 4 cylinder and you may have to replace all the hoses when you flush the cooling system because oil causes them to swell and get soft if it has been in the cooling system long enough.

Search this Thread