Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1953 Ford restoration

Visiting Guest

12-18-04, 05:00 PM   #1  
toterdriver
1953 Ford restoration

Just bought a 1953 Ford Customline car to restore. Got the engine running great ( a flathead v8, 239 Cu. In."I think" ) Now, before running the engine, I want to put in new oil. Question is,"What type oil should I use?" I'm sure when the car was new a regular 30w oil was standard ( probably all that was available ). The engine doesn't smoke nor has any blow-by. The engine has no oil filter nor has any evidence of one being removed ( for any reason ). "Can I buy any kind of aftermarket oil filter kit to install." Also, "Should I use some type of fuel supplement to replace the lead in the gasoline?" Any responses will be welcomed. Thanks

Sponsored Links

MA

12-18-04, 06:07 PM   #2  
Hmmmmmmm!! My 53' had a oil filter. It was located near the master cylinder in a resovar. Check again. Is the engine a rebuild,junk yard,etc???
Original engine was a'flat-head'.

12-19-04, 06:16 AM   #3  
If the engine has had hardened valve seats installed then unleaded is OK
If not, then you'll need a lead additive

Visiting Guest

12-19-04, 10:59 AM   #4  
toterdriver
This engine is original, I think, from what I can determine and I think has the original miles, "93,000 ". Judging from the condition of the car, the engine probably hasn't had anything done to it, just well cared for. It does have the flathead engine, a 239 Cu. In. But I find no signs whatsoever of an oil filter being removed. I have no way of knowing for sure (without going into the engine) if anything has been changed, so I guess maybe I should use a fuel supplement to be on the safe side, right? Thanks for the replies.

TX

12-19-04, 02:40 PM   #5  
join a fourm

There are lots of old Ford forums and Ford auto buffs that have been down the same route on restoring Classic Fords. I checked out a few already I think you will find some good info there. Just type into GOOGLE 1953 Ford and you will see a bunch of vintage Ford links with good info.You can also type in vintage Ford restoration or anything like that.
There is a nice looking Ford like yours that has been restored to be a Texas police car with lights and everything.
Good luck on your classic Ford they do not build them like that anymore.

12-19-04, 06:14 PM   #6  
Posted By: toterdriver I guess maybe I should use a fuel supplement to be on the safe side, right?
Yes, I would
Until the heads (valve seats) are inpected and a machinist tells you different

Search this Thread