Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What cause fuse to blow?

12-20-04, 07:38 AM   #1  
What cause fuse to blow?

Hi! I am hoping someone out there can help me with the following problem with my Chrysler Sebring Convertible JXI....manufactured 8/'97 ('98 model).

The fuse in #8 cavity (a mini 20 amp) keeps burning out when I turn the igintion key. Then the engine is dead. I've replaced the fuse, so far, 5 times. Sometimes I can get the engine running but most times it just blows, leaving the car lifeless.

It is located under the hood in a bank (of fuses) called Power Distribution Center and is marked "Run/Start, Run/ACC and Start Ignition Switch Feed, Starter Solenoid, Fuel Pump".

Obviously it's one of these components causing the problem but is this a common fault and can anyone suggest what is most likely component to be blowing this fuse?? (and an easy DIY fix, if possible).

Thanks for any help.

Happy Holidays.

Sponsored Links

12-20-04, 08:59 AM   #2  
I would suggest you see a shop that will have the wiring diagrams necassary to know exactly what that specific fuse supplies power to, so they can trace the short back to the faulty component or shorted wire.
this is likely not a repair you may be able to fix yourself without a good wiring diagram and other equipment that helps to find shorts in vehicle's.

12-20-04, 02:02 PM   #3  
You could unplug the fuel pump connector and crank the engine and see if the fuse blows again.If it doesn't you need a pump.If it still blows you will need a wiring diagram(as stated by bejay)and component locator to start isolating circuits.A circuit breaker for circuit testing would save alot of fuses.I'm betting on a fuel pump.Keep us posted,you may have to lower the gas tank to unplug the fuel pump.

NC

12-20-04, 04:42 PM   #4  
Posted By: pelican pete leaving the car lifeless
What do you mean by lifeless? Is the only problem being the car won't start(engine won't turn over)? Starter and all accessories still work? It does sound like its the fuel pump fuse but if you have the owners manual or a fuse diagram is on the cover of the fuse box, try and determine exactly which fuse it is (what it powers, like bjay said) . It might be an ignition switch fuse. Chances are its a bad fuel pump, a wire shorted somewhere, or a bad ignition switch. Try what Davo said and post back.

Whatever the case, it will probably take a wiring diagram to determine the problem as mentioned.

12-21-04, 07:10 AM   #5  
Thanks for replies from you all so far. To Jeff; by "lifeless" I mean that there is no response from the starter motor when the key is turned in the ignition (except when I insert a new fuse and the circuit is temporarily completed, until it blows again after approx two attempts). All other components work, dash panel lights, headlights, horn work, central locking etc. Therefore, the starter motor is turning the engine over so it's no problem with the bendix drive or starter ring.

I was really wondering if anyone on this forum had come across this specific problem with the Sebring JXi before, which may save me an expensive visit to the shop.

NC

12-21-04, 09:11 AM   #6  
I haven't had the problem before so I can't help you with that, but it sounds like a fuse that supplies 12 volts to the ignition switch is blowing. All the things you mentioned will operate with the key out of ignition switch. What about the things that operate only when the key is in the run position such as the blower motor, windshield wipers and wiper fluid pump? Do they still work after the fuse has blown? I'm guessing the fuse is blowing when the key is in the run position before it gets to the start position or the fuel pump is blowing the fuse in either position.

12-21-04, 10:03 AM   #7  
Just tried the following:
With the ignition turned on none of the following work -
-windshield wipers or washers
-fuel gauge
-power hood.

Visiting Guest

12-21-04, 11:10 AM   #8  
JHC2031
Like some of the others have stated, a wiring schematic is a must for this type of repair. Without it, there is no way to know exactly how many places that fuse is sending power to. There is a dead short somewhere and it can sometimes be very difficult to track down. Finding a short is a process of elimination and a wiring schematic is a must have.

NC

12-21-04, 08:41 PM   #9  
You're going to need a Haynes or Chiltons manual to help you fix this if want to do it yourself. Both manuals should have a wiring schematic for this circuit, but not only that, will have directions for replacing/testing different components. It will come in handy for future repairs/maintenance as well. You might be able to check one out at a library if you don't want to purchase one. Check out both if possible, if you go to the library.

What you will need to do is 1st figure out what components are operating on the same circuit as the fuse that keeps blowing then disconnect each component one at a time, put the key in the run position for a minute or start the car (if fuel pump is connected), trying to figure out when the fuse will not blow when a certain component is disconnected. If it's an intermittant problem, like you said ("sometimes I can get the engine running"), it's possible to have a wire shorting to ground when the engine is running and the car is vibrating a little. This could be a difficult problem to solve.

What you could try now is, if you can find the fuel pump relay or a fuel pump fuse, remove that, put the ignition switch in run for a few minutes, see if the fuse blows, if not, reinstall the relay or fuse and try the same test again. That may help narrow the problem down, but I'm guessing the ignition switch is bad thinking that there is a seperate fuse for each component that would blow, instead of this one fuse that controls the starter, probably the fuel pump, and some accessories.

Post back any questions and whatever the solution is when you get it fixed.

Search this Thread