1999 Olds Leaks

Old 12-20-04, 11:23 AM
1999 Olds Leaks

I have discovered a pretty bad anti freeze leak in the above vehicle 3.8 Litre V6 35000 miles. Traced it to a radiator cap that wont hold squat pressure. This car has a 5 year anti freeze in it. can I mix a regular life anti freeze in it without any problems until I can get the whole system flushed?

I also discovered an oil pan leak. How much torque should I put on the pan bolts to try to tighten them to spec to see if it helps?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 03:04 PM
Mixing the coolants only causes it to be regular coolant and you are due to change anyhow so go ahead.As for the oil leak you will need a new oil apn gasket and it will need rtv put on both sides of the gasket prior to installation.Torque is 124 lb in and the rtv needs to dry for at least 30 minutes before adding oil and starting the engine.

Old 12-20-04, 04:35 PM
Pan gasket

Oh no! not rtv! That stuff makes the gasket slip all over the place! if it must dry for at least 30 minutes, then how long before it must be installed?

Thanks for the heads up on the Anti Freeze! Can the 5 year stuff be put into a car that wasnt originally designed for it?

Old 12-21-04, 03:36 AM
It will not make that gasket slide,when you see it you will know why.The rtv needs to cure for 30 minutes after reassembly of the oil pan before adding oil and starting the engine.If a car wasn't designed for longlife coolant it may not be compatible with all the cooling system materials used during manufacture,so I wouldn't use it.

Old 12-21-04, 07:18 AM
Olds pan gasket

Your recommendation of rtv and a new gasket reminded me of a horror story with an '87 Chevy Cavalier. THAT pan had no channel for the gasket, so I guess GM must have corrected that. Thanks again for the reply and for the advice on the 5 year coolant!

Happy Holidays!