1997 Geo Tracker

Old 12-20-04, 01:30 PM
jnicholass
Visiting Guest
1997 Geo Tracker

I'm having a problem with my 1997 Geo Tracker LSi 1.6 , The left front auto locking hub will not release, i have tried putting it into and out of 4WD and driving as it says in the manual to release the hubs but it does not work. Does anyone have any ideas please and if i have to try and take the hub apart to repair, how easy is it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-04, 02:19 PM
Hubs are easy to replace.You don't say how you know it's still engaged but with auto hubs if one side is stuck the other can cause a hammering in and out effect.I would remove the rs hub and see if you still have the symptom.If it continues the ls hub is bad if not it should be the rs that needs replaced.

Old 12-20-04, 02:43 PM
jnicholass
Visiting Guest
thanks davo, the reason i know its locked is that i took the wheel off to check the brakes to make sure they were not rubbing and when i turned the hub the driveshaft was turning too. when i had the wheel off earlier in the year the driveshafts were not turning when i would turn the hub. Also i could see the driveshaft on the rs turning but it was turning freely in the hub