86 5th Ave. with no heat

Old 12-21-04, 03:34 AM
claxicrock
Visiting Guest
86 5th Ave. with no heat

i have a 1986 5th ave. the blower motor switch went so i put in a toggle switch. i get air but no heat. i replaced the thermostat, that didnot work. does anyone have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-04, 09:29 AM
hi
you have a contol system that is related to the fan motor.
Try to get a complet one from a wreck yard

cheers

pg

Old 12-21-04, 11:35 AM
JHC2031
Visiting Guest
First off, make sure the coolant level is completely full.

I'm assuming you have a manual heater control unit with levers and not an automatic unit? If its a manual unit, the toggle switch to work the blower motor would be ok. If its an auto head unit, then the head unit could be at fault.

I remember a lot of these K cars in the past having clogged heater cores (which is expensive and time consuming to replace). We use to remove both heater hoses from the heater core and hook up a garden hose(with the end cut off) to one end and flush out whatever gunk was inside. This worked around 90% of the time.

Just make sure you first feel both heater hoses going in at the heater core once the vehicle warms up. If one hose is hot and the other one is cold/warm, then you may have a clogged heater core.

Also, be sure to check the heater control valve to make sure its working and the vacuum source is good. You should see it near the heater core on one of the heater hoses.