Brake Help

Old 12-21-04, 10:54 AM
Question Brake Help

Can Anybody Figure This One Out. When Applying Brakes (abs) On Gravel Snow Wet Road Ect. DriversideFRONT Doesnt Want To Stop. Thier Is A Sound Like A Small Motor Makeing A Twirling Noise And Brakes Pulsate. I Have Put New Rotors Pads On Both Sides And Caliper On Driver Side Side Makeing The Noise And It Is Still Doing Same Thing. When I Remove The (abs Fuse) This Doesnt Happen . The Abs Light Doesnt Come On When Fuse Is In So I Dont Think It Is Sensor Really Know Clue. Any Help Apperciated Sledge.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-04, 11:04 AM
JHC2031
Visiting Guest
The "twirling noise" and pulsation you describe sounds like an overly sensitive ABS system engaging. And more than likely if the problem disapears when you remove the fuse, the ABS system is at fault.

Causes could be a defective wheel sensor or reluctor ring (located on an axle or axle hub). What kind of vehicle is it? Try inspecting it and make sure the ABS sensor or reluctor rings are free of debris and the reluctor ring isn't cracked.

If that doesn't work you will need to take the vehicle in for service where a tech can see what each individual wheel sensor is reading with a scan tool.

Old 12-21-04, 02:59 PM
JCH2031 is on the right track. Most likely that speed sensor is getting an inaccurate speed reading when coming to a stop which signals the ABS of a wheel lock up which engages the ABS. The fault will probably lie with the speed sensor or reluctor ring. You could probably try swapping the sensors from left to right to help isolate the problem if it is not obvious.

Old 12-21-04, 06:10 PM
Smile brake help

thanks for the help fellows that is what i am going to try next . would it be safe to drive with fuse out no (abs) for a while brakes seem like they work ok with fuse out. thanks again sledge

Old 12-22-04, 04:12 AM
With the fuse removed, you simply have a car with no ABS. Just as safe as have a system that's not working right.

Old 12-22-04, 04:31 AM
The noise you hear and the pusation is the ABS motor doing its job. Just a little noisey maybe. You say it does this on wet or soft roads.... Does it do it on hard surface roads? Is this a new condition? Was there any brake work done just prior to you noticing this?
Billy

Old 12-22-04, 05:04 AM
brake reply

i changed pads on front about a year ago thats when i started haveing the problems. ichanged rotors and pads recently again . i will try checking sensors next. no it doesnt do it on hard dry surfaces only loose gravel snow wet roads ect. front driver tire wants to slide when applying brakes thats when you hear the motor twirling and i believe headlights dim slightly when it is doing this. ty for info guys really apperciated sledge

Old 12-22-04, 06:06 AM
It sounds to me like you may have forced some air into the ABS unit when you replaced the pads the first time. I would see what it would take to get the system bled before I replaced any more parts unnecessarily.
Billy