1998 KIA Sephia

Old 12-21-04, 06:28 PM
1998 KIA Sephia

I Just filled up my gas tank and starting driving down the PA Turnpike
when I got about 10 miles the cars Check Engine light started blinking.

The car started to hesatate to the point where I could not excelerate
passed 50 miles an hour.

I pulled over and the car did not stall but it idled rough.

Do you think I need Dry gas cus the Tempeture was 10 degrees that night.

Help

Danny

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-04, 06:42 PM
You need to get the codes read stat
It sounds like maybe the engine went into "limp" mode
It means something went wrong and the computer is allowing you to "limp" home/service station

Old 12-22-04, 03:59 AM
The engine doesnt go into limp mode, only automatic transmissions do that. The check engine light flashing is a signal that you need to get it checked out immediately. This means that there is a condition that will damage the catalytic converter if it goes uncorrected. It also, on your particular car, is a sign that you have a misfire condition. Im sure you will find that at least one of your spark plug wires (there are only 2 on this car) has tracking on the outside sheath. If you want to investigate this yourself remove the cover over the spark plugs and pull the plug wires out. Down around the tip of the plug wire you will likely see what looks like tiny white lightning bolts. How long has it been since you had the car tuned up? What is the mileage now? I you decide to forego a tuneup then be sure to use NGK plugs(or NipponDenso - they are the same anyway). Anything else will only cause this to reoccur.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 12-22-04, 04:06 AM
If the misfire has gone away now that things have warmed up a bit put in the dry gas.If not follow billys advice he is a Kia tech.

Old 12-23-04, 09:20 PM
1998 Kia Sephia

Originally Posted by billys68ss
The engine doesnt go into limp mode, only automatic transmissions do that. The check engine light flashing is a signal that you need to get it checked out immediately. This means that there is a condition that will damage the catalytic converter if it goes uncorrected. It also, on your particular car, is a sign that you have a misfire condition. Im sure you will find that at least one of your spark plug wires (there are only 2 on this car) has tracking on the outside sheath. If you want to investigate this yourself remove the cover over the spark plugs and pull the plug wires out. Down around the tip of the plug wire you will likely see what looks like tiny white lightning bolts. How long has it been since you had the car tuned up? What is the mileage now? I you decide to forego a tuneup then be sure to use NGK plugs(or NipponDenso - they are the same anyway). Anything else will only cause this to reoccur.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy
The Kia has 55,000 on the car. I have not had a tune up

Old 12-24-04, 06:05 AM
You are now almost due for your SECOND set of spark plugs. You are quite fortunate to have gone this long without having to replace them already. Plug wires are due at 60k on your car as well as the timing belt. I would not recommend going past 60 without having it replaced. Once you hit 60k, unless you have an extended powertrain warranty then all bets are off and then some of the aftermarket warranties wont warranty the engine repairs if you didnt get the belt replaced if it breaks. Your spark plug wires should be covered under warranty up to 60k so dont wait around, get it into a Kia dealer asap to get it checked out and fixed.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy