Car won't start

Old 12-22-04, 07:08 AM
cooperent
Visiting Guest
Car won't start

89 cutlass ciera 3300 turns over won't start. Starting fluid no help. Where do I start.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Two basic things to check, spark and fuel. Check spark by removing a spark plug wire and holding near a metal part to provide the ground path. Have someone crank the engine and watch for spark jumping to ground.

Fuel a little harder to check nowadays with fuel injection; you can't just pump the accelerator and look down the carburetor. You CAN check to see (hear, actually) if the fuel pump is running. Remove fuel cap and lean down near the filler. Have someone turn the key to "on" (NOT start); you should hear the in-tank fuel pump humm for a few seconds.

Try those two things and post back what you find.

Old 12-22-04, 10:41 AM
Do not hold the wire with your bare hand or you could get a pretty nice shock. Use good insulated pliers to hold it or better, tie the wire down somehow near a metal part so you don't risk a shock.

Old 12-22-04, 02:25 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the p.s., jeff; I was dashing out the door as I posted and didn't reread that for mistakes & omissions.

Old 12-22-04, 05:23 PM
cooperent
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the direction. I'll post up after I check for spark. I heard fuel pump running.