'99 Taurus "Service Engine Soon"

Old 12-22-04, 02:33 PM
Angry '99 Taurus "Service Engine Soon"

Looks like the Taurus’s are having a bad week.

My 99 wagon had the check service engine light come on. At the same time my ’02 Windstar mysteriously developed the same problem.

I had the problem diagnosed and repaired. It was a broken actuator cable, the runner cable was replaced, and runner control plate decarboned.

Even with an extended warranty, this work was not covered. The car has 65,000 miles. I called Ford service and asked them to take responsibility and offer me a refund, but they called the dealership and said they would decide if a refund was appropriate.

I wanted Ford to take responsibility for their lousy product and not the dealership. This car, in 65,000 miles, has had an alternator replaced, a stuck “door ajar” warning signal, a power antenna go bad, brakes including the calipers replaced, and it was delivered as a brand new car with the cruise control inoperable.

My Windstar had to have the brake pads and rotors replaced at 16,000 miles, and that did not take care of the brake warning signal from still lighting up after the repair.

I guess I received my answer when Ford service said have the dealership take care of it.

Thanks Ford, I have a “Better Idea!” It’s called Honda and Toyota.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-04, 06:47 PM
Ford Warranty or Aftermarket?

Ford Warranty or Aftermarket? Check the brake fluid level for the light.

Old 12-22-04, 07:21 PM
What was the reason the repair was not covered? Was it fixed by the dealer?

What about the brake light....is it still on and are you working with the dealer on that? It shouldn't be too hard for them to fix that.

Old 12-22-04, 08:11 PM
The brake light has not come back on for a while now, at least my wife has not complained about it. It's extremly annoying.

Our dealership charged us next to nothing to have this work done back in July. Still, rotors and brake pads at 16,000 for highway driving is extremly premature.

Old 12-22-04, 08:15 PM
This was a Ford warranty - for both the Taurus and the Windstar. No aftermarket. Although the Extended Ford warranty expires in April, I am waiting for the transmission to go. Maybe an aftermarket warranty may be the way to go.

Old 12-22-04, 08:31 PM
You may have had a leaking caliper, so if they fixed that they may have also just did a complete brake job to avoid any problems with brake fluid having leaked on the pads and rotors. Still, premature brake failure....have to agree....good to see they fixed it.

As far as the "door ajar" switch, I also had the same problem on my 97 taurus. I fixed it with a squirt of WD-40 and its worked well ever since. A lot of people have had this problem.

Old 12-23-04, 11:13 AM
Were the brakes wore out?

Were the brakes wore out or just vibrating? Driving conditions have alot to do with brake problems. Ford warranty and most others don't cover brakes,belts,hoses because they are wear items. The problem with the brake light was probably fixed when to new brakes were installed. They had to re-set the calipiers so fluid was sent back to the master cylinder. Fluid level was low because it need brakes! FORD WARRANTY IS A GOOD PLAN, It's the aftermarket that you have to watch out far? SMALL PRINT!